pc won't start only beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmouse

Solid State Member
the other day I had to open up my pc, to look at the memory modules (I need to add more, but have no manual for my pc).
I took them out, put them back in. I also reconnected loose parallel port plug and changed jumper settings on my scanner card.
But now my pc won't start - there is no output to the monitor, only fan seems to be working and it just beeps: longs beeps for as long as I have it on.
I reversed the jumper settings, checked out if memory is firmly in place ( it is), but it didn't help.
I tried to boot up with only one ram module, without any of them, but the result is the same.

I am out of ideas. Please help!
Thanks

Some specs would be helpful... as in the make of the motherboard and what's attached. I am far from being expert but when my soyo board did that it was because the bios chip was shot..... There are others here who are very knowledgeable but can't help much if they don't know what your system is made of.

Chances are your ram isn't seated correctly, or one of your cards isn't. Pull out all your cards and reseat them, and do the same with your RAM. Also, please post motherboard make/model and the beep pattern as they can be useful in troubleshooting the problem.

Leave all interface cards out except for the video card, as well as the RAM, and try it that way.

You may however, be forced to resort to clearing the CMOS.

Thank you for all the help!

This is actually my friend's pc and he didn't think of writing any information down as far as technical specifications go.
What I know is that motherboard is Azza PT-5IH with Award BIOS, 32MB RAM (and lots of dust-lol). Beyond that we don't know much...

The beeps I keep getting is one long beep repeated for as long as I keep the pc on... Azza's website says it means "DRAM error" so I assume my memory chips went bad, but could it happen to both of them at the same time?

True, I didn't ground myself properly before handling them but to damage both? As far as I can see, there's no physical damage to memory banks (nothing bent etc), so I will just go out and get new RAM and see how things go from there......

By the way: what is cleaning CMOS and how do I do it with pc out?

Thanks again!

By the way: what is cleaning CMOS and how do I do it with pc out?

It is resetting the BIOS setup to its factory default settings, and it's usually done via a jumper configuration - you will need to consult the motherboard's manual on that.

That one long beep sound exactly like what some of my comps were doing and I had to re-seat the memory. just as þÄ®âÐÖx
had mentioned.

and you mention your motherboard was very dusty?

it is possible as you took out the memory cards dust had fallen into the memory slots, blow into them (without spitting everywher) and reseat the memory cards.

get a can of compressed air, no moisture in them at all, u might have runied the ram with static electricity, just a thought

well, I got new ram yesterday but it didn't help. Everything is just as it was before: long, repeating beeps and nothing else...

must be some other problem than fried ram....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom