Intel p4 or athlon 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooloovoo

Baseband Member
I am putting together a farily top-end pc and am hoping you lot could help me on my choice of processor.

I am looking at the Athlon 64 3200+ and the Intel pentium 4 3.0Ghz processors.

Both are about the same price. Which of the two processors do you lot recommend? Do you have any suggestions of boards to go with it?

what are you gonna be using your pc for?

gaming?

or video editing and multitasking?

If you are a gamer, i would get the athlon, and plus its cheaper i think, il hafta check, but if ur gona use the pc for anything else, get the 3 ghz, it can overclock to 3.5-6 not to hard.

I wont be using it for video editting.

i will using it mainly for gaiming, website development and graphics, and program compiling.

do the 64bit processors work with standard windows xp? i have heard that they are unstable unless you upgrade to windows xp 64 edition

well, i would personally get the amd, but u will be satified with both i think. Its really a personal choice. Either a 3200 64 or the 3 ghz will perform realy well in games, u won't really make any difference at all, maybe a few frames, but since its already 2 very good processors, you can play any game on high settings without any problem what so ever. Make shur u got a good video card tho.

Hope this helped

I would go with the P4. I will agree that AMD are better for gaming however P4's are much better multi-taskers. If you think about it, how many times do you only have a game running on your pc. In my personal expirence this is NEVER. Youll either have aim, ventrillio, virus scaners, I.E., etc in the background. Therefore, it ends up that in a real world senerio the P4 will beat out the AMD in proformace.

i was more convinced about the amd until i heard that it does not work with standard windows xp. if it only works with xp 64 edition, it might put me off. i havent seen it for sale yet, but im guessing it wont be easy to get hold of and will be expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom