Just some questions for a newb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrLoLeR

Baseband Member
K this Christmas i'll be doing my first build. I've completely rebuilt laptops and worked on my own desktops but never had to shop for parts compatible with one another. I know a little about PC's but nothing extensive i just have few questions about some unknowns to me.

1. Is there a noticable gain in 1066MHz Ram compared to 800MHz? Are they cross compatible from MoBo to MoBo, and which would be more optimal to shoot for.

2. Would there be any compatibility issues i should know about concerning Processor/RAM compatability (More specifically, the E8400, and where DDR2 800 or 1066 is better)

3. I've done some searching and saw mixed reviews on some sort of Bios problem when using a Wolfdale 8400 with a 750i FTW (EVGa). Anyone have any clarification on this? Because these were a couple parts to my new PC.

Thats really all i can think of for now. I've recently been on these forums lookin around for a while. i like it here. Looks like a bunch of knowledgable people. Thanks!

1. no, even if it says DDR2 1066 is the standard DDR2 800 will work and vice versa
2. Nope
3. Theres no BIOS problem, just the video corruption bug in 7 series Mobo's from nVidia

Hmm. Never knew about a video corruption bug. So is this something i should be concerned about? I've heard a lot of praise over the 750i FTW. Would there be a better SLI compatible socket 775 MoBo in the 170 dollar price range? For use with an e8400.

If u like watching videos alot u should

i dont think there is any other mobo around that price range that is better than the 750i FTW

the asus 750i is pretty good as well from what i have heard.
i would get ddr2 1066 if you can...it will help your overclock, ie make it easier. im already trying to figure how i am going to run my 800mhz xms2c4 with a fsb of 550+, lol o.0

Oh I forgot something, unless you are definitely getting SLI in the future you shouldn't consider the 750i FTW, because there are a lot of better boards that are worth considering you don't want SLi

Well now that you mention it, i've actually been stressing like crazy trying to find a good reputable Motherboard.

I wanted to keep SLI option open, but i SERIOUSLY doubt i'll ever do it. I'm a one powerful card kind of guy. And as far as overclocking, i've never attempted it, and thats not to say i will, or even that i won't,...but a board that has OC'ing potential would be nice. So, any good suggestions.

I'm looking for a 775 Intel Board, ATX, multiple 3 pin fan connectors if available, DDR2, And i'd like to keep the price $170 U.S. or under. Thanks

OH yea, i probably won't be purchasing anything for about 3-4 months...so i'm subject to price changes. What i'm doing is finding products and adding them to a Newegg wishlist, and for the next few months, i'll be monitoring price drops and new products and so forth. But thats only really for GPU's, RAM, HDD's. I've decided on a case and that processor, and i'd like to decide on a motherboard, so any help would be appreciated.

Did some searching. How do you guys feel about the P5Q Pro P45 board.

Seems like a sturdy board with good overclocking potential. Whatya think, go with that over the 750i? Its about 40 bucks cheaper too.

EDIT: Sorrry for the double post.

Its got 8 Phase Power, and its a good board thats already being recommended around here

I say good

Did some searching. How do you guys feel about the P5Q Pro P45 board.

Seems like a sturdy board with good overclocking potential. Whatya think, go with that over the 750i? Its about 40 bucks cheaper too.

EDIT: Sorrry for the double post.

hee hee
i have one that my friendly UPS man, johnny, will be delivering on tuesday. stupid ups and their stupid 3 day shipping and the stupid weekend. this is why i always order on tuesdays. frikkin stupid 3 day shipping that actually takes 5 stupid days to get here. i got carried away this time. grrrrrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom