Noobs New Build Goes Sour

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTail

Solid State Member
Greetings,
I am having two issues:

1) When I power on....the system repeatedly goes off then back on (maybe even 6-9 x's) then it stays on with no problem. I am using a rather large 1000 watt power supply. Could this be a possible BIOS power issue? Single rail PSU adjusting voltage? MOBO protecting itself due to to much power?

What is strange is that I had the exact same problem so I returned all the products thinking something was defective....now the exact same problem.....something possibly is not compatible. Symptoms appear to be a short but I dont think it is. I carefully put all motherboard off sets from the case and did not overtighten any screws. When the power goes off and on....everything lights up....fans kick on....led's light up.....then bam off for about 1 second on for like 4 then off for 1 .....happens again and again......

2) Graphics card is receiving power because I see the lights.....but monitor remains black. Mointor will not detect the card whatsoever. I checked the obvious power to the monitor..etc...etc...

Im a one desperate frustrated NOOB! I want to diagnose this power issue first.

I listed my Hardware below.

Thanks,
RedTail

PSU -- OCZ EliteXStream OCZ1000EXS 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V
HDD -- WD Caviar GP WD7500AACS 750GB SATA 3.0Gb/s
OPTICAL -- ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner / SATA Model DRW-2014L1T
RAM -- CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
MOBO -- ASUS M3N-HT DELUXE/MEMPIPE AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU -- AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core
GRAPHICS cARD -- EVGA 01G-P3-N897-A3 GeForce 9800 GX2 SSC 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
CASE -- XCLIO A380BK / ATX

Sounds like bad connection, short, or bad mobo/PSU...

Maybe try with just 1 stick of RAM? that'd be the easiest, then try to see if the PSU or mobo are bad

check to see that all connections are secure. Like hammer said take 1 stick of ram out (try all four slots and see if it will work in one)

Also, why the heck do you have a 1000w psu? it is completly and utterly not needed for your build)

Greetings,
I am having two issues:

1) When I power on....the system repeatedly goes off then back on (maybe even 6-9 x's) then it stays on with no problem. I am using a rather large 1000 watt power supply. Could this be a possible BIOS power issue? Single rail PSU adjusting voltage? MOBO protecting itself due to to much power?

What is strange is that I had the exact same problem so I returned all the products thinking something was defective....now the exact same problem.....something possibly is not compatible. Symptoms appear to be a short but I dont think it is. I carefully put all motherboard off sets from the case and did not overtighten any screws. When the power goes off and on....everything lights up....fans kick on....led's light up.....then bam off for about 1 second on for like 4 then off for 1 .....happens again and again......

2) Graphics card is receiving power because I see the lights.....but monitor remains black. Mointor will not detect the card whatsoever. I checked the obvious power to the monitor..etc...etc...

Im a one desperate frustrated NOOB! I want to diagnose this power issue first.

I listed my Hardware below.

Thanks,
RedTail

PSU -- OCZ EliteXStream OCZ1000EXS 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V
HDD -- WD Caviar GP WD7500AACS 750GB SATA 3.0Gb/s
OPTICAL -- ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner / SATA Model DRW-2014L1T
RAM -- CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
MOBO -- ASUS M3N-HT DELUXE/MEMPIPE AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU -- AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core
GRAPHICS cARD -- EVGA 01G-P3-N897-A3 GeForce 9800 GX2 SSC 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
CASE -- XCLIO A380BK / ATX

I have had this problem a couple times. Most likely as it is stated there is a short in your build Do not be alarmed becuase all that means is that you are not properly grounded in one place. I had this problem and i switched out my case and bam worked. Are you using brass stand-off's for your motherboard? This helps stop shorts by grounding it much better.

Considering you sent all parts back already this is the most likely problem. Start your computer with everything out of the case. Lay the mobo on a cardboard box and have the case real close to it. Connect everything that is need right on the box and try to start it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom