High pitched whining noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TowaruTsura

Solid State Member
I have a problem with my desktop. Whenever plugged in, and the hard power on, it emits this really annoying and painful high pitched noise, and the computer does nothing. The sound seems to be originating from the power supply, but I changed it out for a power supply of another computer. Still had the same problem. I tried using another computer entirely, in case it could be the motherboard, but it gave me a high pitched whine on THAT one, too. It's not the breaker, since my laptop is running off of this socket just fine. I even tried using a different power cord. This is extremely annoying. Does anyone have an idea of what's going wrong here?

High pitched whines are only normal when coming from women...

That said, I think it's most likely coming from some component with a fan. Since you've already swapped power supplies the next suspect is probably your video card. Then it would be your processor's heatsink/fan. Could also be a case fan that's not operating properly and is causing a short (explaining why your pc won't boot).

And when you said "I tried using another computer entirely..." what exactly did you mean by that? You traded components like mobo, cpu, etc. or you plugged an entirely 100% different computer into that socket that you had laying around. I don't understand.

Also please post the specs for your computer or the model # if it's a branded one (HP, Dell, etc.) so we know more about what you're working with.

Do you have an 8800GT by chance? I have heard they have an inductor that whigs out sometimes and has a real high pitch sound.

When I say I used an entirely different computer, yes, that means 100% different computer.

Let me check and see if it's that 8800GT.

Nope. It's a Dell, BTW. It's not a branded one, though.

As for the specs, I can't power it on, so I can't tell exactly what it has. Besides, it's been through the wringer so many times with an EXTREMELY non-technical savvy family, so it'd most likely not even have the original drivers.

I thank God this isn't my computer. I'd be ashamed.

C'mon, people...I'm going to lose my house over this. Okay? I NEED an answer. If this is just a case of a faulty power supply, and both of those power supplies were faulty, That's fine. Just...C'mon.

How are you gonna lose your house???? Be patient we are trying to help you. This sounds more like an electrical issue.

So you have 2 entirely different pc's that make a noise when plugged into the same socket...or are you saying you tried a hdd in an entirely different pc? in that case it's the hdd.
What about when plugged into a different outlet say on the other side of the house or a different house....
Did this noise just start happening on both pc's?

Check the HDD. Check the CPU Fan. Check the GPU fan. Remove all the things that you can and just start adding 1 by 1 part back till you find what it is.

Plus no offense. But if it was that important that you got it fixed or you would lose your house why not take it someplace local instead of a online forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom