Virtual PC operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Rekit

In Runtime
Alright, I got nice new desktop set up thanks to the help from people on this forum and I am running 64 bit Vista since I have 8 gigs of RAM. The problem is that the AutoCAD I have will only work on a 32 bit system. It is like Solidworks in that it has a different version for a 32 and 64 bit system. Until I can get my hands on a 64 bit version what is the best way to make the 32 bit version work?

Reboot with my old 32 bit system or could I use a virtual PC and run a 32 bit system inside of a 64?

I think you guys know what I am asking, I'm open to suggestions on how to get this up and running.

Thanks,

John

You can run VMWare and install 32 Bit to run Auto Cad. It will allow for you to set some hard ware toward it. Best bet since 32 Bit and 8GB would only be trouble. At least with VMWare you can limite the RAM to 3GB for 32 Bit.

Would you mind pointing me towards the VMWare I need to download. I've done some searching on here and it seems that people are downloading it for free, I'm just not sure which one or if those are even right. Some of these downloads want around $2000, so I'm hoping those aren't the ones I need ;)

* Server Virtualization Products
o VMware Infrastructure
o VMware ESXi
o VMware Server
o VMware VirtualCenter
* VMware ESX
* VMware Virtual SMP
* VMware High Availability (HA)
* VMware DRS
* VMware VMotion
* VMware VMFS

John

Server doesnt have the features, it's ideal if all you are doing is hosting a web server ect but not if you are using it for backwards support for non x64 OS's.

Thanks,
I downloaded the free server. I can't seem to find what I would assume i am looking for with it.

If it can't get my AutoCAD installed, are there any other free options available for download that you know of that could get me going? I'd like to save the $180 program for the end if there happen to be any other options out there.

John

VirtualBox

Maybe Virtual Box? I have used it on my setup to run VM. Not sure if it would work in x64 to run x86 though.

I don't know that there is anything wrong with the VM server, it is probably me since I'm really not positive how this is all supposed to work anyway.

I assume I need to get logged into a host server. I can't find anyway to try and install without doing that.

When I try to log into my workgroup (host) I get a message "Host address lookup for server workgroup failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found"

So maybe if I can find the host i would be ok, I'm really not sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom