Rate my mid-range computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

invisible_wall

Baseband Member
Yeah, another one of these topics. This is a computer build made on directcanada.com. There's no fan cooling since I'm a bit unsure about which one to get and directcanada's selection is pretty crappy (might buy it seperately on NCIX, any recommendations?). I don't plan on OC anything and will be happy as long as it plays Crysis. How is it?

Looks alright but i would recomend you get a g280 core gpu instead of that 8800GT. but other than that all looks fine and dandy. I must say if you do plan to OC this build would be great with a G280 core but i dont really recomend getting a 8800gt for crysis get a 8800GTX if your not gona get the gpu's with the new g280.

BTW for the CPU cooling get the Xigmatex Rifle everyone has one. lol or the Tuniq Tower ( make sure it fits in your case its a tall Cooler ) but I recommend the Rifle as a first choice.

looks solid. what size monitor are you looking at?

and no sense in getting a g280 card cause they're more then the gx2 on launch and don't fare much better in benchmarks. Stick with the 8800gt, or maybe go for a 8800gts if you're playing on a bigger monitor (the g92 512mb version)

also if you aren't gonna oc or don't plan to oc don't bother with an aftermarket cooler.

oops thought he was using OEM q6600.

btw i thought the g280 was supposed to be good? if you dont mind peter could you send me some info on the g280/benchies if you still have links? (pm please)

I plan on using the 17" LCD I have right now. It does the job ok and I don't really have the cash for a new monitor

also if you aren't gonna oc or don't plan to oc don't bother with an aftermarket cooler.

What do you mean exactly? Aftermarket cooler?

What do you mean exactly? Aftermarket cooler?

A stock cooler is the Heatsink and Fan that originally comes packaged with the processor.

An aftermarket cooler is a Heatsink and Fan that you buy separately that usually provides better cooling capabilities than the stock cooler.

By overclocking your computer, the temperature of the processor goes up, thus you need a better cooler to keep the temperature as low as possible.

BTW for the CPU cooling get the Xigmatex Rifle everyone has one. lol or the Tuniq Tower ( make sure it fits in your case its a tall Cooler ) but I recommend the Rifle as a first choice.

Any other suggestions? These look awfully fancy (thermal compound? nah). Would an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro be good?

yes but you have a cooler supplied with your CPU because its a retail. so you already get a cooler with your CPU. Dont worry about getting an Aftermarket heat sink if your not going to OC just use the stock one you get in your package.

Sorry, one more question. Should I get Vista or stick to XP? I'm on a bit of a tight budget and not sure whether Vista is really worth it yet

If you have XP and like XP and looking to save a buck, there's no reason to switch to Vista. But there are some things that Vista can handle that XP (32 bit, that is) can't, such as memory limitations. I, for one, am content with XP, and my new build will be "Vista Ready", but not have Vista on it as of the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom