Onboard LAN and PCI LAN not seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifly85

Beta member
Compaq Presario SR1830NX computer with onboard video, sound and LAN.

Onboard video and sound work, LAN doesn't.

I have been trying to get the onboard LAN or a PCI NIC to work on this computer forever. The onboard LAN worked fine, until a nearby lightning strike toasted the motherboard. Sent to Compaq and they replaced the mobo. The Onboard NIC has not worked since.

I tried installing a PCI NIC and it never works, (Device manager says "This device cannot start"). Device manager does not show onboard NIC, I think it did before.

I have messed with the BIOS settings and while trying to get the onboard LAN working, I have it enabled in BIOS.

I have finally performed a full recovery, theoretically, bringing it back to out-of-the-box status. Nothing changed.

Oh, also the current mobo is another we bought to try to help this problem. All details are the same with both mobos.

I couldn't find anything relating when searching these forums, so any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help Mak213. I failed to mention that I had already done that several times.

I found the problem though! Apparently the pci modem card was bad and was stopping all PCI slots and the onboard LAN from working. I thought I had removed the modem before, but I did now just to try the NIC in a different slot. The onboard LAN started immediately upon booting the system.

The solution was one of the basic rules for troubleshooting computer problems: remove all peripherals and cards and add them back one-by-one to find the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom