Are overclock'ed video cards a plain rip off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric0h

Over and Above Person
I see overclocked versions of video cards, and It makes me wonder if that is just a rip off?

Cause they can be manually overclocked as far as I know.

Am I missing something?

They're for people who are too afraid to overclock their own. Overclocking is a mixed bag, sometimes its worth it to get a card that you KNOW will hit that mark, while if you overclock a stock card, you might or might not get the same numbers.

They're a rip off, they're used to fool noobs who have never heard of the program ATiTool, plus you can use the same overclocked settings to overclock a normal reference card

They're a rip off. They're usually not overclocked enough to even make a difference. Usually only by 10-15MHz.

I've fried 2 video cards by OC'ing, and they were pretty mild overclocks, a few hours into a game & poof artifacts.

A lot of times superclocked versions can be had with better coolers than stock and within $5 & have a warranty for that clock speed, seems reasonable to me.

It depends, in some cases the oc'd cards do clock higher.

In my case, XFX charged $30 for the overclclocked version of my card, but i still
got the lower clocked version and was able to oc past the version they sold for $30.

Others may not get so lucky, and get a card that doesnt oc for crap.

Because the clock of A processor or RAM is set and made permanent by the motherboard they are connected to, therefore, people could sell pre overclocked, they would just have to sell a motherboard already connected to/with them..

And hopefully the CMOS would not be cleared during shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom