My 2nd build

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkolk

In Runtime
So my comp crapped out on me, think its my mobo, but i wanted to upgrade soon anyway.
Heres what im thinking

Processor - Intel E8400
Im pretty set on getting this processor

Graphics card - 8800 gt
As of now i like the cost/performance of the GT vs the GTS or 9800gtx. If i wait long enough i may look at the new nvidia or ATI cards.
Tho the nvidia gtx 260 is supposed to be around 400 way more than i want to spend on it.
So for the 8800 gt theres a dual slot version but in the reviews they dont praise it too well in keeping it cooler.
single slot - Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
dual slot - Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N800-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
What do you guys think about dual or single cooling slot.

Ram - 4 gigs (2x2gb)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
I could use some advice here, i went to best rating newegg on 2x2gb sticks and got this g.skill with some 535 ratings. But thats all i am going off of and any advice on this would be appreciative.

Mobo - Im pretty clueless on picking out a good mobo. I definetly will never do SLI or crossfire. I wouldn't like to go over $150 on it if i dont have too. Having a decent overclocking ability would be good, i dont want to skimp out on a crappy mobo if i can help it but i dont want anything too OCing enthusiastic.

PSU - Corsair 520hx
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies
I think this is the power supply every1 raves about on here right?

For all parts, i may overclock the processor at some pt (including ram), i probably wont overclock the graphics card at all.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
is a good cheap mobo that OC well

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
seems to be another one that's starting to get talked about somewhat around these boards, but i haven't really seen any reviews on it

or spend a little more for the new p45
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

(sorry gigabyte is about the only board name i really look at..so there are others that vary a little in price)

EDIT: oh yea, you listed your video card again instead of a link to RAM lol

Why the E8400 how about E7200 (Dual Core) or Q6600 Quad Core)?

Get the ECS 8800GTS for 160 after MIR

X38 if you want crossfire 750i FTW if u want SLI

Ok a couple things.

First you linked a different 8800gt instead of the ram.
Second what is your overall budget?

These two questions can help us build the most powerful system how you like it for your money.

I will start off by saying that the e844 is a great CPU and i highly recommend at least getting a cheap cooler such as this to help you get a lot of performance out of that chip.
Newegg.com - Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

The RCX is a great cooler for a dual-core CPU and since your not a hardcore overclocker im sure it will suit you plenty.

Next why not overclock a GPU? It's very simple to do and easily increases performance. If you really don't want to overclock then just get one of these gigabyte cards with an aftermarket cooler and come pre-overclocked 100mhz. Thats a really good deal honestly and i own a gigabyte 8800gt as well. As for dual or single slot it doesn't really matter honestly.

As for ram i highly suggest this G.skill.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Usually i don't recommend DDR2-1000 or so memory becuase it's expensive and you can overclock the 800 to 1000 however this stuff is a really good price and G.skill are just awesome. This will ensure you get a really nice overclock since Wolfdales are 1066fsb chips.

For the motherboard get the new chipset.
Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The P45 may have a few bugs at first but i'm sure it will be nice rather than getting a p35 right now.

As for the PSU get a 550VX if you want a great Corsair PSU unless you want modular.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
is a good cheap mobo that OC well

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
seems to be another one that's starting to get talked about somewhat around these boards, but i haven't really seen any reviews on it

or spend a little more for the new p45
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

(sorry gigabyte is about the only board name i really look at..so there are others that vary a little in price)

EDIT: oh yea, you listed your video card again instead of a link to RAM lol

I have been trying to steer away from gigabyte boards a little bit becuase i have seen 2 of their boards die and their customer service is absolutely HORRIBLE. Still they are amazing boards for the price when they work.

Ok a couple things.

First you linked a different 8800gt instead of the ram.
Second what is your overall budget?

These two questions can help us build the most powerful system how you like it for your money.

I will start off by saying that the e844 is a great CPU and i highly recommend at least getting a cheap cooler such as this to help you get a lot of performance out of that chip.
Newegg.com - Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

The RCX is a great cooler for a dual-core CPU and since your not a hardcore overclocker im sure it will suit you plenty.

Next why not overclock a GPU? It's very simple to do and easily increases performance. If you really don't want to overclock then just get one of these gigabyte cards with an aftermarket cooler and come pre-overclocked 100mhz. Thats a really good deal honestly and i own a gigabyte 8800gt as well. As for dual or single slot it doesn't really matter honestly.

As for ram i highly suggest this G.skill.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Usually i don't recommend DDR2-1000 or so memory becuase it's expensive and you can overclock the 800 to 1000 however this stuff is a really good price and G.skill are just awesome. This will ensure you get a really nice overclock since Wolfdales are 1066fsb chips.

For the motherboard get the new chipset.
Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The P45 may have a few bugs at first but i'm sure it will be nice rather than getting a p35 right now.

As for the PSU get a 550VX if you want a great Corsair PSU unless you want modular.

I fixed ram link and I dont really have a budget per-say, im going more on each part as a reasonable price. Like ram, im thinking not over $100, mobo not over $150 if i can help it, Graphics card id like to stay ~$200. And i have a hookup on the processor so thats set.

Ive OC'd graphics card before, it is pretty simple, but i just dont intend to do it until its older.

I dont see the purpose of the ddr2 1000 ram because thats actually a speed of 500, and the 1333 fsb on the processor is actually a speed of 333. Its going much faster than the processor.

I like the idea of the new p45 chipset but theres no mobo with reviews on newegg really. Asus at least is what i looked.

I fixed ram link and I dont really have a budget per-say, im going more on each part as a reasonable price. Like ram, im thinking not over $100, mobo not over $150 if i can help it, Graphics card id like to stay ~$200. And i have a hookup on the processor so thats set.

Ive OC'd graphics card before, it is pretty simple, but i just dont intend to do it until its older.

I dont see the purpose of the ddr2 1000 ram because thats actually a speed of 500, and the 1333 fsb on the processor is actually a speed of 333. Its going much faster than the processor.

I like the idea of the new p45 chipset but theres no mobo with reviews on newegg really. Asus at least is what i looked.

The reason i say the ram is a good idea is becuase it will for sure let you max out the overclock on an E8400 if you ever wanted plus you can always tighten the timings to Cas latency 4 DDR2-800 quite easily on DDR2-1000 cas 5 where as you never know if you can hit cas 4 on DDR2-800 ram that is already cas 5.

There are reviews of the Asus P5Q pro mobo and it seems that the difference between them is only the second pci-e 2.0 slot.

the P45 just came out

1000 is nice if ur going to have a high clock everyday or u can do what sora said about overclock a ddr2 800

So any1 know anything about the dual-slot cooler in the evga 8800gt card? One newegg reviewer said the base is aluminum where the single slot card base is copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom