I'm building a computer, but I'm stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messiah

Solid State Member
Hello, I've set off to build my first computer, and also my first high performance gaming machine.
I have decided to settle with the NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI, its got everything I need.
I'm stuck on what processor I should get, I don't know anything about them! NVIDIA says that the 680i supports 775 socket Intel processors... I don't want to buy a really expensive one, but one that works great, what should I use? It says it supports these following processors...
1. Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition
2. Intel Pentium 4 LGA775
3. Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Core 2 Extreme, Intel Core 2 Quad
As you can see, I'm really confused, I just want to get the right one, and not waste my money on a non compatible one.

Now on to the specs I want this machine to achieve...

:::Mother Board:::
NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI

:::CPU:::
Still figuring this thing out...

:::RAM:::
4GB DDR2 800 (2 2GB Sticks)

:::Internal Drives:::
120GB SATA HDD (Will upgrade later on)
SATA BD ROM - DVD ROM RW

:::GPU:::
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 1GB DDR2 HDMI
Might get a second one in time...

:::pSU:::
What type, and how many whats should it be?

Thats bout it, I'll use my 40" LCD HD TV for my monitor :laughing:. lol
Tell me your thoughts about this upcoming machine, and if you can, help me with the possessor...

Thanks,
Messiah

the extra money u r spending on the 1gb ram on ur 8600 is not worth it will still preform badly for instance a 7900gs would preform much better and would be cheaper but if u want an 8 series card dont wast money on one with more memory get a 8800 even the lower end ones are better than a high end 8600

i dunno the resolution on your 40" monitor but if its high then your gonna want a better graphics card then that i recommend the following.

mobo - gigabyte ds3r p35 chipset
ram- 4GB gskill ddr2
cpu- intel q6600
hdd- if buying new one seems like you already got one, 500gb seagate 32mb
psu- note that wattage on a psu doesn't really matter too much, its more the current being delivered through the 12v rails. something like a 650tx by corsair would be great option.
g card- 9800gtx,gx2 if you have the money maybe gtx260 depending on price and performance havent seen any price yet.

this build is based on a good money budget. i dunno how much you have so tell us then we can make you the best system for that price.

if ur low on money get an 8 series card like the 8800gt or the 8800gts g92. get the q6600 for sure, and yeah that ip 35 is a good ocing mobo.

I went for an EVGA motherboard, cannot for the life of me remember the make, I'll have to check when I get back from the office. I do know however that for a CPU, you should go for the Intel Q6600 (That's the Intel Core 2 Quad). Also go for the 8800 series of graphics cards (at 512 MB), as they are dropping in price now that the 9 series is out.

For PSU, you don't necessary need a 650tx, I built my machine with the equipment I've just mentioned and I'm using a Corsair HX 520W ATX 2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU so it should do you as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom