To Vista or not to Vista, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonKerz

In Runtime
The performance question that is. I'm thinking of getting Vista 64 Home for my Gaming rig so I can support Dx10. Is it going to be worth my $100 extra. I will only have 2 gigs of 1066 ram on my system. I've heard Vista is a memory devourer, think that'll be enough??

I've got 2 gigs of ram too, I run vista, and when I try to play crysis on my pc it'll sometimes stop and say "your computer is low on memory, please close the following program: crysis". However, in xp it's fine.

Soooo yeah. It's still xp ftw.

Dx10 is also a massive hype. But, if you really want it, it's been released for xp too, just not quite finished last time I checked.

just get server '08 :S all vistas abilities, must faster. check out the last 2 pages of the 3dmark 06 top list. guru listed a site that tells how how to enable a few things you might want.
you can download a 240 day free trial from microsoft (re-arm every 60 days, up to 240) which can also be made able to re-arm indefinitely without using illegal activators or cracks and junk.

right now im in the process of transferrign the stuff from my vista drive over. i was gonna dual boot but i figured i'm just going to ditch vista altogether. server is just much better so far ;p

why not get more ram too? should run fine any way i got two 2gb of ddr800 ram and i play crysis fine

Yeah, it's just the whole idea of Vista though. I really want it for Dx10, but it's such a resource hog, and seems to have so many bugs compared to XP, but you say there is a Dx10 for XP? How is that possible? I don't think XP framework can even support Dx10, but if it could, Microsoft should just sell Dx10 software. I'd pay $50 for Dx10, but I won't pay $100, and run the risk of having a crappy OS as well.

I think vista forced me to buy 2x2g of ram.. Just so it could hog a whole derned stick to itself hehe

I get mid 16k on 3dmark06, pretty good for the setup I got.

i was thinking same thing, could be on to something here. but 2gb vista is ok, but 4gb is great in terms of gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom