New Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I tried Del and it didn't work earlier. Do I hold it before even turning the machine on? Then for how long?

Sorry if this is getting tedious, but doesn't seem to be working for me.

the_real_MO said:
Well I tried Del and it didn't work earlier. Do I hold it before even turning the machine on? Then for how long?

Sorry if this is getting tedious, but doesn't seem to be working for me.

It will be the f1 or f2 or del key, keep hitting the key don't hold it down after you power on. are you getting a black boot screen or a pb flash screen

YAY!!!!

F2 it is :)

Had a quick nose about and found a setting "Quiet Boot" which was enabled to "Display Logo". Disabled that and now on startup, I get a "proper" boot screen with "Press F2 for setup".

Bit daft you have to know how to get in there, to be able to change a setting to for it to display how u get in there!

To keep the likes of me out I guess!

Ok, so I then tried finding the settings to see about making the new HDD seen as bootable. I *think* this was it....

(AMBIOS EASY SETUP UTILITIES Ver 1.17 - (c)1998 American Megatrends inc.)

Advanced then Advanced CMOS Setup.

1st Boot Device Floppy
2nd Boot Device CDROM
3rd Boot Device IDE0

I take it I leave the 1st and 2nd as they are, then change the 3rd?

Can't see PCI (which is what I was expecting - as that's where the controller will be going?). The options available were....

Disabled
IDE0
IDE1
IDE2
IDE3
Floppy
LS-120
ATAPI ZIP
CDROM
SCSI
NETOWRK

Ok I have a question for ya

Why are you going to all this trouble-controller-drivers when you load windows-bios-etc for a sata drive?

Not sure what you're asking?

All what trouble? I'm going purely on what I've been told and read which is basically Sithspawn's original reply. Plus the info on the link jolancer provided which said I may need to go into setup to change the boot sequence.

Am I making things MOre complicated than they are?

When I start, obviously I wont be able to ask anymore questions, so I'm wanting to know the exact procedure.

The MOst I've ever down was stick a bit of meMOry in before!

its always better to make things more complicated and end up knowing more, than making things less complicated and getting stuck.

For the installation method, yes follow the link that jolancer gave you. and yes you will need to change the settings in the bios so that the hard drive boots first. Im not sure about the PCI card being detected first as i have had no experience with that. Im assuming that if the mobo cant find a HD connection on the IDE controller, it will look on the PCI board. The controller package should have info on this.

And OEM does mean it wont come with any installation instructions, but it will have simple instructions on jumper settings on the HD for you to follow. If worse comes to worse and you get stuck during the installation you can always plug your old harddrive back in and get back on here to ask the questions :)

derrmc said:
Ok I have a question for ya

Why are you going to all this trouble-controller-drivers when you load windows-bios-etc for a sata drive?

What I'm saying is that your pc came with an ide drive. so why didn't you just buy a new ata? install it with it's new cable and your done. then load windows

derrmc has a point. Your current system supports ATA, so why not stick with an ATA drive? Now yer getting into boot issues, extra cards, and the possibility that if you got an OEM SATA drive, it most likely won't come with the cables you need to hook it up. (SATA drives use different stuff). Perhaps your SATA PCI card will have connectors with it. Yer still going to need to look at your power-supply, though. You'll be consuming a bit more power.

Just relax, though, and see what comes in the mail (or however it's getting to you). Like mentioned above, if you futz things up or run into problems, you can always swap in your old drive (or switch to another comp if you have one) and troubleshoot.

Oh, and as for your boot-order in your BIOS, that list just tells you where the system "looks" first for an OS or boot-up instructions. Floppy first, then CD-ROM, then hard-drives. Since you hardly use floppy anymore (under normal circumstances), I set my CD-ROM first, HDD second, and disabled the boot-checking for my floppy. (Some mobo's don't support deactivating a boot-check on a drive, though.)

HI.

The main reason for going SATA was that I intend to rebuild the whole lot bit by bit. So a new board will be SATA compatible and able to take proper advantage of the drive when I get it.

I'd also head various things about limits on the size IDE drive I could fit?

I've no other computer and this 6GB drive has died on me a few times (and took someties hours before deciding to play nice again), which is why I wanted to make sure I had all the possible info I might need.

I've already learnt a few things I didn't have a clue about. And I thought that's what these forums were for? Advice and help?

oooooooooooh! I can hardly wait till I get round to replacing the whole lot!

I hear if i fill the case up with water it'll work faster? ;)

Sure. If you fill the case up with water, the system will upgrade to CRAZY-Go-NUTS-ULTRA-MODE! (With lightning effects!) The system will operate so fast, your puny organic mind will not be able to fathom the intense speeds, which will be like they are standing still! It'll be a sight for everyone to enjoy! You. Your family. Your neighbors. The county fire department...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom