Problem occurred when plugging in floppy drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'll do that. Whats the best way to back up WinXP files?

Instead of waiting for me just tell me how to get the drive working right. Then I'll do it after I sell my car and then I'll get back to you. Please make a separate post for WinXP back up instructions.

Thanks

The full backup of everything requiring a good amount of drive space can be performed by following the instructions for the file and settings transfer wizard build into XP. How to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard with a wizard disk in Windows XP

For manually hand picking out any files including entire folders you want to save the old copy+paste method uses two Windows Explorer windows to highlight and right click on the intended files, folders to be copied selecting the copy option. You then move the cursor over to the other window being the intended destination and right clicking again to choose the paste option in order all highlighted items copied to the new location.

You can also highlight the intended items and simply move them completely if the destination is on the same hard drive even while being on a totally different partition. One usual method for backing up a large volume of things is to burn a data dvd. The only problem seen most often with data disks however is that when you get into the next system or replace the current optical drive the disks may be unreadable by the new dvd drive.

Thanks for the info. I guess when I'm searching for files I should look under created dates not modified dates or both?

Now please tell me how to fix 600GB HD, 120GB partition to show C: instead of E:. Thanks

The fresh install of Windows without the zip drive and perhaps having left a blank disk in that at the time or having any external drives plugged in whether self contained or in an external usb enclosure will prevent cross contamination in a sense where the mbr and boot files end up in the wrong place seeing the shift of the Windows drive letter. Apparently the original installation there saw the installer look at that partition as a second or third partition.

To avoid any further mishap in that regard try unplugging the 250gb when going to see a fresh install on the 640gb WD model. The installer may have been looking at something there or if that was the first sata in line while choosing the primary on the 640. With that and the zip drive out of the picture you shouldn't have any further problem with a stand alone install on the 120gb primary.

As I may have mentioned before I had forgotten to simply unplug an ide drive and ended up seeing XP as D not C due to a similar problem where the installer looked for the first ide drive while XP went onto a totally separate sata. Even Vista still looks for the first primary on the first ide drive if present to place mbr entries as well as boot files and the new boot folder now seen. I learned that fast trying out the RC1 beta version in 2006!

Ok, I'll make sure nothing extra is hooked up. So how do I get this drive problem fixed??

Sorry for the delay as I was called away for some time. If you haven't already performed a fresh install of Windows that would be the simple task left. Somehow if you can recall leaving a disk in the zip drive or simply what the XP installer saw it originally labeled that as C and the primary E.

With that removed a clean install should readily see Windows as the default C drive without any problem. As I mentioned before I ran into that simply by forgetting to unplug the first of two ide drives when I had two of those plus the current pair of satas in. oops! I simply unplugged the first and started over to see XP on a C primary when booting into it.

By default with only one hard drive plugged in and no zip drive interference the Windows installer will automatically assign C as the drive letter. All you do now is simply perform a full install without the zip drive or another hard drive plugged at the time to see the new copy seen as C.

The outputs on the newer cards will be DVI seeing a vga type adapter plugged inline for use with crts or older lcds. The newer lcds now are both vga and DVI capable coming with two different input cables. When you look at the photo here you can the primary and secondary outputs on a recent card.

The adapters at the link on the other thread are what you will find included when buying a new card in a retail box. They simply allow you to use a vga monitor with a newer model card seeing twin DVI outputs like seen in the photo. Buy a card from a vendor like newegg however rather then some of these off sites.

Yes, but I don't want a full install. I only want to wipe the E: drive not the F: drive. Which should be C: and D:

I already bought that Vcard so which adapter is the right one for it? I can't tell the diffarence.

Thanks

When you plug the adapter in that will reduce the DVI type output down to the vga standard. That simply allows you to use an older lcd or a crt type monitor on a newer card.

As far as performing a reinstall on what is now seen as E that would have no effect on any other partition or drive. The idea of unplugging any ide drive besides optical is to avoid seeing the installer place boot files and create master boot entries there while Windows is setup on a sata.

Once done you simply replug the offending drive(s) back in to then be seen as the E,F,G drives with Windows seeing itself as C. From what I covered so far the Windows installer saw the zip drive as C when you initially installed Windows. The optical was obviously the next drive letter as D and Windows saw E. Now you should see Windows as C without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom