BSOD 0x9c crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put the new drivers on for the motherboard and its still happening. I'm going to try someother programs that have done it before and see. I even added another 120mm fan I had to the case so I'm sure I have good air flow.

I'm to the point where it has to be something wrong with the software. It just seems weird that it would be the software when my brother has a PC that is almost identical and he had no errors. Only difference was hes running the 780i EVGA board and an 8800GTX. I know the 8800s run hot so I manually went in and cranked the gpu fan to high and it keeps the temps way down. And that doesn't seem to make a difference. Is there any way to test the video card without replaceing it. I've already bought a good chunk of another machine at this point. While it would be nice to have a huge sli rig I'd rather save that money for other things like gas.

I ran prime95 last night and I didn't get any errors. I ran it for about 5 hours on blend and then over an hour on small FFT.

I checked the event viewer and it shows an error right before the blue screen. Its always a side by side error.

Ok so I'm still trying to figure out whats going on. I loaded Call of Duty 4 back onto my machine and tried running it to see if it would do the same thing. Sure enough after an hour or so it BSOD on me.
My brother came up with his PC which is practically identical. He has no problems with it at all.

So we switch video cards since their the same one. He plays some of the games I was having problems with and has no trouble. Sure enough I get another BSOD. So we get to thinking its the PSU so I take his 1000watt psu and hook it up. Now instead of getting BSOD the PC just turns off like someone unplugged it. This is by far the biggest mess I've ever had building a PC. I've built quite a few and never had any trouble like this.

Any ideas on what else I should look for?

Hmm, I think I might have somewhat the same problem as you. But I can play for a whole day without having a bluescreen and suddenly the next day when I turn it back on and start playing it might go blue straight away. Sometimes minutes, sometimes hours, sometimes a whole day without problems. Really annoying.

My computer is new as well, speccs:
ZALMAN Z-MACHINE GT1000 Gaming, Alu, black, ATX, 3xfans (without PSU) (GT1000-BK)
Asus Maximus Formula, X38, Socket-775, DDR2,ATX,2xGbLAN,Firew, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16
Intel Core? 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz, Socket LGA775, 6MB, 1333Mhz, BOXED w/fan
Zalman CNPS9700 NT Ultra Quiet CPU Kjøler, Socket 775/754/939/940/AM2
OCZ Freeze Extreme Thermal Kjølepasta, 3 gram
Corsair Powersupply 750W Black, ATX/EPS, 140mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI
Corsair Dominator TWIN2X8500C5DF 4096MB, DDR2, 2x2GB(KIT), DHX, E.P.P, with FAN
Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA2 32MB 7200RPM
PointOfView GeForce GTX 280 PCI-E 1024MB GDDR3 (R-VGA150910F)

I've tried somewhat the same solutions as you as well, including different 64bit OS versions both XP and Vista/ultimate. I was planning on trying to buy a new motherboard but seems that didnt work for you. I havent tried using 32bit OS yet though. Dont know if that might help on the software issue.

I haven't had allot of time to work on it letley but I did get a chance to look at the ram timings. They where way off. It seems that the auto sense on the mother board was leaving the timings way to slow. I went to the manufacturer's website and found the correct timings and for a while it seemed fixed. Its only blue screened twice in three weeks of pretty decent play. I can now play COD4 the whole way through without a crash. If i get some time I'm going to double check the voltages on the ram. The manufacturer said it would go all the way up to 2.1v. I think its at 1.9 so I may try bumbing it to 2.0 and see if that helps any.

I'll tell ya though I've been building PCs for years and this is the worst time I've ever had with one.

I just skimmed through all of the posts, and it doesn't look like you have tried a new hard drive yet. I would give that a go, I've had strange random crashes like yourself and it turned out to be my hard drive failing.

I had World of Warcraft crash on me twice last night. Why freaking WoW does it I'll never know. I do know that WoW isn't set up for 64bit OS though.

I did do a hard drive swapp and it helped some, I needed a new one anyway. Most of mine where solved by the ram timings though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom