Turn off monitor key combination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
My old IBM laptop has Fn+F3 programmed to turn off the monitor. It blanks the screen and turns off the backlight, hiding your screen and saving battery power. I would like a similar function on my new laptop (HP dv9700t) because closing the screen often can wear out the hinges and I want to maximize battery life by turning off the screen when I leave the PC while using battery. Are there any ways to either make a clickable icon that turns off the monitor or map a key combination to it (Windows Vista)?

I've seen a utility called Turn Monitor Off that will do what you want for a few bucks.

I'm a cheapskate so I have my Vista power saver profile set to turn off the display after a few minutes of inactivity while on battery.

Something that simple isn't worth money...I can get a whole OS for free, no need to pay money for something ridiculously small like that... I'd rather just close the monitor lol

On my hp, i dim the screen by holding down fn and f9, and i set the power options to max battery. That right there along with the two batteries installed gives me 8 hours of running time.

I always use Power Saver (or whatever my lowest settings are called) on battery unless I'm gaming. I tried that free program but the monitor just dims, backlight goes off, and then it comes right back on.

I tried that free program but the monitor just dims, backlight goes off, and then it comes right back on.

The trick is you have to keep the mouse steady while clicking on the shortcut. Since any movement of the mouse turns the screen back on. The program has the same effect of forcing the monitor off timer to 0 before the preset value is reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom