Case Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not set on having HDD coolers yet. and i dont know if i will even have 2 HDD or what. I need to design a holder or rack for them still. I'm guessing i should stick to aluminium for doing HDD racks?

Yes stick with aluminum when building any kind of PC frame work because its easier to cut with a dremel and modify.

Also i do believe you can buy that design of Fan Grille i have one myself.

Computer Fan Grill PC Fan Grill Custom Fan Grill Manufacturer Fan Filter 120 92 90 80-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

This is not where i got mine but they do have alot of really neat designs that i think you would like :) if your wondering where i got mine i got mine of several old scraped cases nobody wanted anymore so i asked if i could have the grills and they said sure so i got em :p

UChannel

there is a link for some U channel for your holes. im sure MNPC tech would love to supply you with all you need :) if you wana browse a little more heres a link to their inventory

Case Mod Supplies and PC Modding Gear

for all your modding needs :)

I would recomend you create your HDD frame work in Sketchup or some other 3d modeling program such as blender or rhino if you know the program. I find it easier to do that and go off a 3d plan versus on paper.

Cheers!

Have fun modding :)

I usually use a bi-metal hole cutter for my fan holes in aluminum....but dremel is good substitute as hole cutters aren't cheap if you don't already have them.

The hole cutter will guarantee it to be a nice round hole while the dremel is a little trickier and will take a lot longer. If you're cutting a circle for the first time with a dremel get some scrap and give it a practice go first.

Also, good idea to cut from the underside of the case so that any nicks etc... don't show on the top of the case, the u-channeling will also help to hide any flaws.

Looking forwarding to watching this thing grow!

Yeah, for the most part aluminum is easier to work with I just wish it was easier to weld!

Yeah, for the most part aluminum is easier to work with I just wish it was easier to weld!

haha indeed I took welding last year and i enjoyed welding im not half bad if i do say so myself. but yes aluminum is tricky to weld on.

to secure aluminum i would probably use pop rivets more than i would a weld.

for cutting acrylic what I use is a jigsaw with a really fine point bit. One that has a lot of teeth. There are special ones for cutting acrylic/fiberglass and they work fine. just when cutting the acrylic, remember don't cut to fast or you will crack it, and its a ***** to fix up.

for cutting acrylic what I use is a jigsaw with a really fine point bit. One that has a lot of teeth. There are special ones for cutting acrylic/fiberglass and they work fine. just when cutting the acrylic, remember don't cut to fast or you will crack it, and its a ***** to fix up.

Yeah, if possible, see if you can get access to a bandsaw, quick and painless.

A hole saw drill bit should be fine if i can get one large enough shouldnt it? whats the best way to neaten up edges on acrylic? sand paper?

an extremely fine file would work. and i wouldn't use a hole bit, only because if you don't disperse pressure evenly you risk cracking the sheet and thats a no go.

an extremely fine file would work. and i wouldn't use a hole bit, only because if you don't disperse pressure evenly you risk cracking the sheet and thats a no go.

What he said, i don't use my holesaw on acrylic, just aluminum.

If you really want to do it with a hole saw get two sheets of plywood (or one and the bench, whatever) and sandwich the acrylic between them, use some clamps to keep it nice and tight tight and go easy on the hole saw, let the teeth and the weight of the drill do the cut, slow and steady.

For the edges, yeah, file and or sand paper and then a buffing wheel or torch will give polished shiny look, like new.

hey everyone,

I got good news and bad news. Good news is the case came today! yay! the kind of bad news is that the case isnt as cool as i thought it would be. It's very thin, seems to be made something like cardboard with the aluminium sheeting over the top. I Will hopefully find a way to renforce it.. but we'll see. i'll post some pics soon. I'm still gonna go through with it all though. wish me luck.

oh! i got an idea for that, what you can do, is make all your cuts, and then find a way to put some like 1/4" thick plywood, and then get an acoustic foam kit, and that will hide the plywood, and you'll be reinforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom