Problem with recommended heat sink setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsteffens

Contributor
Hey guys, I just received this

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-SD964 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

and this

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

to go with my IP35E and Q6600.

I thought it would all be as simple as take MOBO out, and mount all the new parts! Well it's not, because the metal brackets that are supposed to screw onto the heat sink seem to be about 1/4" too wide and DO NOT line up with the holes on the MOBO! So now that computer is outta commission for now because I don't want to put it back together with the stock cooler setup.

Any input, lemme kno! I'm confused, perhaps I could drill out the metal holes on the little brackets to 'ovals' to allow me to adjust how wide they go?

thanks much in advance as always!!! :)

EDIT: Any chance I may have got a dud? As in mount holes placed wrong? Thanks!

At the xigmatek website they have 2 brackets listed. They don't really have any specs to it so I'm not sure what the difference is but it did have what hsf where applicable to it I believe. Go check out the site and see I guess.

Crossbow ACK-I7751
All Intel LGA775: HDT-S963, HDT-S1283, RED SCORPION-S1283

Crossbow ACK-I7753
All Intel LGA775:HDT-D1264, HDT-D1284, Achilles S1284, HDT-SD964

That is NOT the problem, my bad, what I was trying to say, was where they affix to the heat sink, the holes on the heat sink are too far apart! By about 1/4" total...

That bracket itself is fine..., fits like a glove

Someone has to know what I'm talkin about! :(

At the xigmatek website they have 2 brackets listed. They don't really have any specs to it so I'm not sure what the difference is but it did have what hsf where applicable to it I believe. Go check out the site and see I guess.

Crossbow ACK-I7751
All Intel LGA775: HDT-S963, HDT-S1283, RED SCORPION-S1283

Crossbow ACK-I7753
All Intel LGA775:HDT-D1264, HDT-D1284, Achilles S1284, HDT-SD964

where can I get the 7753??

guess I will try it. I don't understand how I cannot get the 7753 even though xigmatek's website totally describes it and has it up to see.

if i have interpreted this correctly you are saying that the rifle hsf holes dont line up with the ones on ur ip35-e. which is wierd, all 775 sockets can fit the intel stock cooler and doesnt the rifle have the same mounting clips?

It's hard to explain, the metal "C" clips that are supposed to attach to the heat sink... on the 7751 have a hole in the middle for a screw to go through I presume with a nut on the other side.

The 7753 the middle section is a smaller hole, and THREADED so a screw goes into it directly. The 7751 seems to be a bit wider overall. My plan is to just take my dremel, elongate the holes on the 7751 C brackets and take a nut and screw of my own and mount it up. I emailed xigmatek and got an email back in Japanese (I think)

thats bad service, i guess u could try your method, if you have any pictures the explain the problem that would be great.

Well...... lets just say I will not be able to return the kit... but, I did get it to work. I took my dremel and cut off some parts of the brackets that were in the way, I found some screws and nuts in a bin I had and put the thermal paste on, mounted it all, rewired everything, and the processor runs 20 degrees celcius cooler.

Being i am at home in the garage I am used to making stuff fit like this and also I had a good amount of random parts laying around.

I would have to rate the heat sink itself excellent. The bracket kit I'm sure would be good with what it was originally meant for. Newegg took care of me best they could. Xigmatek, customer service in my experience here was aweful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom