Is it worthwhile replacing graphic card/motherboard on a notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've done it plenty of times. It's a pain in most laptops because you've got to remove/replace pretty much everything but it's definitely doable. How comfortable are you working inside laptops? You should be able to download a service manual from HP's site, that should give instructions for everything. You can surely find the part online, cost will vary, though. Post what model you have and I can dig around for it's mobo.

Model Number : RD868AV#ABA
Product Number : EZ345AV

This is HP's dv9000 series notebook.

How was your notebook usage experience after replacing the motherboard?

Thanks a lot for your kind answer and effort for going through it.

One more question,

My local tech shop mechanic going to charge me $140 for the motherboard replacement labor and I have to provide processor (lets say for $180 from ebay). H will not provide no warranty because he did not provide motherboard. He is saying he can get processor but it will cost him atleast $300 - $ 600.

HP is offereing me $298 (shipping, labor, and part) for the motherboard/graphic card replacement plus 90 days warranty.

Any suggestions which pathway should I chose?

HP's offer is a bargain. If you burn in the new motherboard after you get it back, you'll know usually within a week if there is going to be any problems. It should last much longer then the 90 day warranty.

HP's offer looks MUCH better than your local tech's. It's tough to do this job yourself and very daunting if you've never played with laptop internals before. It's probably best to go through HP for this one. 90 day warranty is good for peace of mind as well, basically guarantees that your problems will be taken care of when get your pc back. I think you should probably just send it in to them. Any idea on turn around time? I'm estimating a little under two weeks, depends what shipping they'll provide. They'll be good and provide overnight ship sometimes, that helps a lot.

Thanks guys.

I talked to HP again and now they have increased their price to $398. I think I am going to go with local tech.

When I buy from ebay, what are the chances it will work on my notebook, different specification than mine? E-bay seller won't give any warranty whether it will work or not. My model number is listed under the motherboard which you gave it to me. I can't check my motherboard number while notebook is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom