urgent problem. keyboard broke!help quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sje46

Solid State Member
got micr. wireless desktop reciever 3.1. 2nd hand. mouse fine. keyboard :cant type. using onscreen keyboard now. cant type lettrs, no's, F's, Ctrl,del, etc., but can use web/home, search, mail buttons etc at top. keyboard is Micr. wireless KB 3000. reciever has three settings, A, 1, F. usually only 1 is lit, but now both 1 and F are. know VERY little bout technology. no manual. please help!

Check and see if Mskey.exe is running, if it is stop it.
You can get to the task manager by inputting "taskmgr.exe" in the run prompt

If it is second hand, then did they spill anything on the keyboard?
Like coffee or Coke (not that it matters what it is)
open up your keyboard if 'brinks's solution didn't work, and then take a look at whats inside.
What you could do:
open it up, there should be some screws at the back of the keyboard.
When you open it up there will be some sort of silicon sheet, and 3 transparent sheets. Make sure there is no sticky marks / dirt on them.
One you have cleaned the sheets then clean the keys, there should be no stickey stuff on the keyboard or keys.
Then if that still doesn't work then i don't know what to suggest.
I will keep a look out for you though.

Check and see if Mskey.exe is running, if it is stop it.
You can get to the task manager by inputting "taskmgr.exe" in the run prompt
Thank you for your help.
Can't I get to the task manager just by pressing Ctrl Alt Delete?
Oh, perhaps you told me to do it that way because you figured I was using the on-screen keyboard still.
I went to the task manager, then to Processes, but I did not see Mskey.exe.

If it is second hand, then did they spill anything on the keyboard?
Like coffee or Coke (not that it matters what it is)
open up your keyboard if 'brinks's solution didn't work, and then take a look at whats inside.
What you could do:
open it up, there should be some screws at the back of the keyboard.
When you open it up there will be some sort of silicon sheet, and 3 transparent sheets. Make sure there is no sticky marks / dirt on them.
One you have cleaned the sheets then clean the keys, there should be no stickey stuff on the keyboard or keys.
Then if that still doesn't work then i don't know what to suggest.
I will keep a look out for you though.

Nothing was spilled on the keyboard: I recieved it a few months ago and it was working fine until I was in the middle of a sentence last night.
I'm almost positive it is the receiver. Now instead of the 1 AND F being lit, only F is lit.

Last night (actually early this morning) I shut off my computer hoping that will solve the problem. But when my cousin turned it back on, he found that the MOUSE was now broken and the keyboard was fine!

I changed the keyboard's and the mouse's bateries: same result.

I hit the locating button thing on the receiver and the other little button things on the mouse and keyboard.
Same result.

I tried unplugging and replugging the receiver. Same result.

Perhaps if someone informs me what athe boxed A, 1, and F mean.

Thanks a LOT for your help.

Try a different USB port. Did it come with a driver disc? if it did, try to uninstall the software (if any) that it came with, and find the most updated drivers for it on their website.

Try a different USB port. Did it come with a driver disc? if it did, try to uninstall the software (if any) that it came with, and find the most updated drivers for it on their website.

Unless he switched usb ports or uninstalled the drivers/software then why would it be working perfectly 2 nights ago.

hmmm, if it is wireless, recon the signal could be getting interrupted by something?

-S

USB ports can malfunction, and drivers can become corrupt somehow. I've seen NIC drivers do it before. Fixed my friend's laptop b/c his WLAN wasn't working, and he hadn't used it in a few months. Somehow the drivers were corrupt, so I uninstalled 'em, then reinstalled 'em. Worked fine.

Try a different USB port.
Still no.
Did it come with a driver disc?
I doubt it. But anyways, since I got it second hand, I didn't get one anyways.
if it did, try to uninstall the software (if any) that it came with, and find the most updated drivers for it on their website.
I'm wary about this. I don't think that they don't software for it anyway.
Unless he switched usb ports or uninstalled the drivers/software then why would it be working perfectly 2 nights ago.
I doubt that it is the software. I don't even think that it has software (then again, I don't really have a clear what software is)
hmmm, if it is wireless, recon the signal could be getting interrupted by something?

-S
This is interesting. What sort of signals could interfere with it? Is it right to assume only wireless things like cell phones would?

But then again, this happened at 3 AM ish, when people are asleep. I have used the wireless receiver at my home for about a month, and this hasn't happened before.
USB ports can malfunction, and drivers can become corrupt somehow. I've seen NIC drivers
What is this?
do it before. Fixed my friend's laptop b/c his WLAN
his what?
wasn't working, and he hadn't used it in a few months. Somehow the drivers
Be patient with me. I know very little about technology. What is a driver?
were corrupt, so I uninstalled 'em, then reinstalled 'em. Worked fine.

I'm hesitant about uninstalling and reinstalling this. I wouldn't even know how to.

My keyboard still works, and my mouse is still defective.

The reciever is still at F.
Basically my reciever has 3 light diodes under A, 1 and F. It looks like this:
A----1-----F
[]----[]----[]

When fully functional, the diode under 1 lights up. Yesterday, 1 and F were lit up, and then only F. Now F is still the only one lit up. I hve no idea what these letters (and number) mean.

The reciever has a button at the bottom of it. If I press it, the diodes light up A, 1, F, 1, A, 1, F, etc, like it's searching, which it is.

Now, when it is in this state of search, if I press a small button on the bottom of the mouse, or the bottom of the keyboard, the searching stops. I assume that this tells the receiver which wireless mouse or keyboard to listen to.

When I start the search, it stops when I press the button on the keyboard, but it doesn't stop when I press the button on my mouse.

This means that the problem is either in the mouse or the reciever, and not the software in the computer (if there is any). But it is unlikely the mouse, because yesterday the mouse was wrking and the keyboard was broken.

So basically, I need the diode under 1 to light up, and the one under F to un-light up.

I don't know if this has helped anyone.

Okay backup. This sounds like interference from another device. You are using a device that uses the same bandwidth as cordless phones among a lot of other common household items. Such as garage door openers. So interference can come from so many different things. I would try removing anything that could cause interference first.

Also have you connected the keyboard to the receiver? Pressing the connect button on the receiver and the flipping the keyboard over and pressing the connect button on there?

The specs for the hardware list something called "Enhanced F-Key Functionality", but I can't find any specifics on it. There must be some key combination you can press to toggle this feature on and off. That would likely be why an "F" indicator on the keyboard is lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom