EVGA Nvidia i790 Ultra SLI & Xeon Core 2 Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are nowadays compatible with most current 775 boards, and the 790 I'm sure will handle it nicely.

Theoretically speaking they can achieve higher clocks on lower voltages with reduced heat, but I feel the differences are so minuscule that it's not worth the risk of incompatibility. If you're really jonesing for it though, just buy it. The worst that could happen is it not be compatible so you could just sell it on eBay.

I myself would just go for the desktop counterpart as 45nm can get pretty **** high without much effort in comparison to my 65nm.

As far as I'm aware any xeon will work in any motherboard that supports it's process. *** in wolfdale etc...

I'm running a x3220 @ 3.4Ghz currently (8x425) It's a beast.
^ There's you're proof, running it with mid 16k 3dmark06 scores. @ 3.5ghz runs 16,950+ scores @ 3.6ghz runs mid 17k scores (unstable vcore 1.6 ouch!)

Was running different settings in my sig.

i think veedub has run 1.55 for a 4.0 run on his q6600. but they are different chips, erego, requiring different voltages for different clock speeds.

Mine is also only a q6600, not the 45nm. If they are the same price i'd go for the xeon as being a server chip it is binned higher than the desktop counterpart.

Thanks guys, mostly confirmed my original thoughts. Going with the x3350 as opposed to the q9450.

Completely unrelated but I'd like to say I'm glad to have found this forum. Everyone else I try discussing tech with just stares at me with a dumbfounded look on their face. Last person I tried thought the i790 was a video card... *sigh*

Thanks guys, mostly confirmed my original thoughts. Going with the x3350 as opposed to the q9450.

Completely unrelated but I'd like to say I'm glad to have found this forum. Everyone else I try discussing tech with just stares at me with a dumbfounded look on their face. Last person I tried thought the i790 was a video card... *sigh*

glad you found us too.

thats why we're here. Keeps people from looking at us like we just farted when we start talking about computers.

I thought that was a reference to a car of some sort..

Uhh yea these are the best forums for pc stuff hands down, everyone for the most part is down to earth cool people.. (most everyone)

And yes different chips require different voltages even though they are close to being the same chip q6600 and x3220. I got mine running smooth now either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom