New Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_real_MO

Solid State Member
Hi.

First of all, looks like a good forum :)

My question is about setting up a new harddrive which is on it's way to me as I type. I've had a breif search and can't see this anywhere, but I appologise if I'm repeating.....

My set up is a lowly P3 450MHz. 192MB Ram, and a dying 6GB Harddrive.

Win XP Pro.

Apart from the dying harddrive, performance is passable for what I use it (browsing and autoCAD), though obviously I'd prefer something better. So, I'll be upgrading the lot bit by bit along the line. But the dying harddrive is first port of call.

I've ordered THIS CONTROLLER and THIS DRIVE.

I'll be taking the current drive out as like I've said, it's on its last legs and at 6GB isn't big enough to compensate for my small penis or lack of a BMW :)
So the new drive will be my main drive.

So what I'm hoping for is a sort of Idiot/MO proof step by step guide to replacing the current IDE drive with the SATA controller and SATA drive and getting it up and running. I've got everything I need off the current drive backed up to CD already.

Despite what you may think from my highly technical lingo, I'm actualy not as clued up on these things as you may have thought :D So as simple and broke down as possible please.

Cheers

MO

well its fairly simple. you unplug all the connectors into the current hard drive, unscrew it from the drive bay, and take it out. Then, seeing as its dieing, you can take all your frustration out on it (i suggest a strong metal bat and a large unpopulated area). Now on to installing the next one. Again quite simple. Unpack the boxes (there should be detailed instructions in both boxes about how to do all this by the way), and plug the connector into where it tells you to in the instructiones. Check to make sure the drive is set to Single or Master (generally pull the little jumper out. there will be instructions on the drive about this). Put the hard disk where your other one was (screw it in of course) plug everything in all the right places and then turn it on. Youll need a copy of windows XP and all your drivers to do a reinstall.

hey man welcome to the forums im B$ hope to see you around but im sorry i cant help you here i dont know too much about hard drives only the simple stuff

Thanks for the swift reply.

I have a selection of tools ready to carry out frustration venting.

The HDD is "OEM" according to the site, which may mean no instructions.

I thought it'd be a little MOre complicated than you've said. My main worry was that I may need to tell the (infact, I'm not even sure what I'm telling), "whatever", that the new main drive isn't on the IDE connection, and is now in the PCI slot with the SATA controller.

Will it auto detect that?

Again, please don't be fooled by my ever so fluent use of this crazy lingo...... I didn't even know such words/abbreviations existed a few hours ago!

Why thankya kindly B$ :)

As you can see, my machines very low spec' and in need of upgrading, so I'm sure I'll be needing advice aplenty along the way.

Neon light side fan huh? Does that make it go faster ;)

jolancer said:
to install windows on SATA.. Link

Nice one.

"If your Serial ATA (SATA) controller is a bootable controller (the vast majority are) you may boot from the SATA drive. You may need to enter Setup and change the boot sequence so that the SATA controller is the first boot device listed."

Any idea if the Controller I've ordered is a bootable one?

Also, where it says "may need to enter setup and change the boot sequence.....", well, would you think less of me if I said I didn't fully understand? Enter what setup?

:confused:

the_real_MO said:
Nice one.

"If your Serial ATA (SATA) controller is a bootable controller (the vast majority are) you may boot from the SATA drive. You may need to enter Setup and change the boot sequence so that the SATA controller is the first boot device listed."

Any idea if the Controller I've ordered is a bootable one?

Also, where it says "may need to enter setup and change the boot sequence.....", well, would you think less of me if I said I didn't fully understand? Enter what setup?

:confused:

Setup in bios, since I don't know your pc brand, look at your boot screen and see if it tells you what key to hit to enter setup. could be f1,f2,delete,(etc) if it's an hp with no boot screen hit f1 when you see the hp logo

I thought that would be what was meant.

I've always thought it was a case of holding delete on start up, and thought I'd test it..... no joy.

The computer's a Packard Bell.

Am I missing something?

I've been holding the delete key down, turning the machine on, then keeping held. It just seems to start up as normal. A screen quickly flashes up just long enough to read "voodoo" (my graphics) then goes, followed by a Packard Bell logo. And then Windows starts to load.

the_real_MO said:
I thought that would be what was meant.

I've always thought it was a case of holding delete on start up, and thought I'd test it..... no joy.

The computer's a Packard Bell.

Am I missing something?

I've been holding the delete key down, turning the machine on, then keeping held. It just seems to start up as normal. A screen quickly flashes up just long enough to read "voodoo" (my graphics) then goes, followed by a Packard Bell logo. And then Windows starts to load.

Packard Bell will be f1,f2,or del

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom