Power Supply Touble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadRacer

In Runtime
I've got a Compaq Presario SR1020NX. Power went out the other day while my bro was on it, and wouldn't boot up later. I assumed it was the power supply; when connected the green LED on the back was flashing when it's supposed to be solid. So, I disconnected it from the MB, and it turned green, making me think it's a motherboard issue. I ordered a new MB, and installed it, but I still have the same problem. Googling came up with similar issues where replacing the PS was needed, because it was fried, BUT! I can jump the PS_On pins on the supply and turn it on, so it can't be fried, right?!? Any suggestions/recommendations besides buy a new comp or PS. I just spent $160 on the other parts, and am very short on cash ATM :(. PS works fine when I unplug it from the MB, and jump the pins, but once I plug it in, the light starts blinking and it won't do anything.

So you have used two different motherboards on the same power supply and both times it will turn on for a moment and then turn off?

The only way to verify whether it is a bad board or a bad power supply is if you try a different power supply.

No, I initially thought it was a MB issue, so I ordered another MB. The PC won't even turn on; when unplugged from the MB, the PS's light is constant, as if it's working correctly. I can short out the power pins and turn on the PS and fan. When I plug it back into the MB though, the green light begins flashing again, indicating an error of some sort and the PC won't do anything. PS is a Bestec ATX-250-12Z, BTW. Came with the system from the factory, and hasn't had any issues until now :(

Found an adapter for the 3 pin fan plug to the 4 pin molex plug, and am running my CPU fan right now. All of the molex plugs work fine, but not when the MB is plugged in, only when I jump the pins to power the PS.

EDIT: What it seems to me is I'm overpowering the PS. But, why would this suddenly happen? I can't run just the MB without the light flashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom