Forgotten Windows Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjh0724

Beta member
To make a long story short, I changed the Windows password on my Gateway laptop and when I came home, I thought I remembered the password (it was something really unique that I thought I would remember!) but I must have jazzed something up. Anyway, I can't get into my computer and I am trying to avoid having to restore my entire system. I found some utilities to run that will either erase or retrieve my password, but I cannot get my laptop to boot off of the CD or a usb floppy. I went into the bios and made sure I changed the boot sequence, but it doesn't make a difference, the computer bypasses the cd and boots up in Windows, making me enter the password that I forgot! Very frustrated, and hoping someone will have some ideas! After doing some digging, it seems my main problem is getting my laptop to boot off a cd...I have found posts with a variety of utilities available, but with what I have tried so far, my problem is getting the cd to boot up on my computer!

If you have the bios set correctly and still can't boot from a CD, it's most likely the CD isn't bootable. Just burning utilities to a CD doesn't make it bootable.

Bootdisk.Com

You can also hit F8 when your computer is starting up which will let you go into Safe Mode and then maybe let you login on the Administrator account if you didnt set up a password for it and if you did, maybe you remember it? Always remember to make a Password Reset disc which you can put onto a floppy, cd, or flash drive. Its nice to have! Hope this helps!

Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom