Case Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_booto

Baseband Member
Hey everyone,

This is a case Mod I'm sure you have probably seen before. Its a Aluminum 1000 CD/DVD (in sleeves) case. dimensions: (L)600mm X (W)420mm X (H) 190mm.
This is what it looks like:
casevs7.jpg

By g_booto at 2008-06-11

I know it all fits well as i used Google Sketchup to create a basic design of it:
openandcutinviewbn1.jpg

By g_booto at 2008-06-11

As you can hopefully see i want to put an acrylic sheet on the lid so you can see in. Also the cut-in side view is just so you can see the layout or the components. the open case is what it will hopefully look like.
cutinviewfrontrk1.jpg

By g_booto at 2008-06-11

cutinviewbackdb5.jpg

By g_booto at 2008-06-11

openbackkh5.jpg

By g_booto at 2008-06-11

openbireyeod0.jpg

By g_booto at 2008-06-11

Its got a load of fans on it. The HDD(black) have HDD coolers on them(Dark Blue) if that makes sense of the image.
I would like to know what tools are best for a job like this. like for cutting the aluminum (which I'm pretty sure is thin) and also cutting the acrylic.
If you can see any potential problems with it let me know.

Cheers,

That looks nice, there was one case mod in custom PC 6 months back that was a PC put inside a leather briefcase.

Yeah well this mod is kinda based on that or at least a aluminium briefcase mod. i have another question and that is. do the hard drive cooling fans sit on top of the HDD or under? i didn't find any pics of them actually installed on the hard drive. While on the topic of those coolers, are they worth it? or is it more of a looks thing? how hot does a HDD need to get until something bad happens to them?

Oh, and i just bought the case. it should be here within a week or something. I'll keep ya's posted

What tools are best used for cutting aluminium, and acrylic? I should have access to most tools. This is my first mod so obviously i gotta get some info of how to do some things.

A dremel is an all around useful tool in modding. Many attachments for just about anything that you want to do. I would just cut acrylic with a saw, the edges are going to be covered so if chips a little bit you won't be able to see it. Also the hdd covers go on the top and without airflow going over them, they basically do nothing. 100 degrees Fahrenheit is the ideal temp for a hard drive. Try to have it around there. Also look into getting a slot loading DVD burner. That would look so much better.

dremel with aluminum cutoff wheels and i dont think you would need a cooling solution for a hard drive. they usually stay at about 39c which is comfortable to electronics.

hmmm this looks interesting...hope you go through with it.

i agree.

What color Lexan/acrylic are you going to use? BTW MNPC Tech has a great tutorial on Circle Hole cutting with a dremel. i followed their method and gota great cut just needed a little deburring. Thats another bit you should get for a dremel if your going to use that which is highly recomended. Also on that Fan duct on the sides of the case i highly recomend you debur that because i've sliced my hand MANY times on burs on metal. Also you might wana concider a fan grill design to fab up to put over that fan hole, or buy one. i suggest buying 1 grille of each size and use those as templates for marking holes to drilland then use i again to get the holes for your custom grille :) multitaskers i love em.

Cool, thanks for all the advice. firstly my acrylic colour i have not chosen. in the design its blue. i know blue and silver(aluminium) look pretty good together. i was thinking green but i dont think it would look as nice.
The grill design i want is this:
3dbladesbas3.jpg

I don't think i can really make it myself. but i will have my eyes open for other designs. The holes that will be in ther case i will cover with rubber:
mol042gn3.jpg

I'm not set on having HDD coolers yet. and i dont know if i will even have 2 HDD or what. I need to design a holder or rack for them still. I'm guessing i should stick to aluminium for doing HDD racks?

and a slot loading DVD drive sounds awesome! thanks for that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom