Arctic Silver 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
not usualy

EDIT: Srry that makes it sound like it happens, i have never heard of a program damaging the cpu as long as the hs and cpu are seated correctly

so is it true though that using a cpu burn in program will help speed up the as5 changing process thus lowering the temps? Because with this coolermaster jet 4, my temps havent changed much at all, so i'm just guessing that the as5 hasnt "setup" into its form that it needs to conduct the heat properly. Or is something else wrong?

I used AS5 and it worked right from the start.

I would like to know if you cleaned the processor before you applied the AS5.

I would like to say that my processor has always ran on the hot side of things. i'm at about 48-49 C idle and about 53-54 under load. I look at it like this: If the processor ever burns up, then it's obviously time to upgrade. :)

yeah I cleaned it off with some isopryl alcohol really well and put my jet 4 on and my temps are still in the upper 40s at idle and mid 50s at load. So I don't think I've done anything wrong but I don't know what to do now...

My motherboard has a feature called "Speed fan" (i think). Anyway, its a program that controlls the speed of your CPU fan in order to lower the noise level. Mine is in the BIOS and all you do is disable the feature and your fan should run at full speed all the time.

By the way, what were your temps before you installed the jet 4? and How are you monitoring your temps?

my jet 4 has a speed controller and I've kept it full blast since ive installed it...my temps before were idle upper 40s and on full load mid-upper 50s...I use sisoft sandra and my bios to monitor my temps. any suggestions?

Those programs should work fine for monitoring temperatures.

Sounds like your old cooling system was doing just fine.

Is there a reason you are worried about your temperatures?

Maybe you should start another topic and ask other people with similar processors what their temperatures are. Be sure to include the type of core you have. (Northwood, Prescott, etc.)

It's my opinoin that you shouldn't worry so much about your temps. If your computer is crashing because of high temperatures, then you should worry.

Also, What is the ambient temperature where your computer is? If the ambient temperature is high, the heatsink/fan can only do so much. :)

alright I'll start the new topic, my ambient temps are pretty low...I keep a celing fan and a stationary fan both on full blast and it gets pretty damn cold in here lol.

As far as me getting worried, when playing a demanding game such as Farcry, generals, UT2k4, my temps get to the point to where the pc freezes, when it gets to 60C.

Hmmm... Freezing up? I used to have issues like this with my old video card.

Have you tried running a program called Prime95? Its basically a torture test for hardware. (I don't think it tests the video card.)The reason i suggest this is: If your computer is just freezing up, it doesn't sound like a cooling issue for your processor. It may lie in another component. It is my understanding that if your processor overheats, your computer will just shut down. You can also try a program called Memtest86. It puts your RAM to the test.
If you want to do a test with Prime95 you should probably let it run for a minimum of 8 hours. I ran mine for 20+ hours with no errors- rock solid system. I've never froze-up on Far cry or UT2K4.
The same applies to Memtest86, Let it run for several hours to really get a good test.
One final thing you might look into is lowering the quality settings for your graphics. I know that no one wants to play an awesome game like Far Cry on low settings, but you might give it a try as a test to see if your computer still freezes up. Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom