Computer won't start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2k556

In Runtime
Hi yesterday i shut my computer down and windows updated. then when I went to restart it, it won't. It will start up, and then die before it gets to the motherboard start up screen thing. then it will repeat the process, so i killed the power because i was afraid it would ruin my hdd's or somethin' turnin on and off. i've done quite bit of overclocking in the past so it could be caused by that. I reset cmos, but that didn't help, it did the same thing. I would think it is the power supply, but I don't want to make any decisions and end up bein' somethin' different and have wasted money on buying a new ps. any help will be very much appreciated.

thanks,
Gavin.

I tried the wiggle test, and everything is in place correctly. I tried removing one stick of ram and starting and doing the same with the other to see if the ram was causing it, and it isn't.

And another note, when after i cut the power, about a second later there is a spike or something and the led's light for a split second and go off.

Vista/XP? The spike you see is the capacitors letting go of their stored up power.

Only plug in the mobo, video card, ram and hard drive. See if it is cause of PSU being over worked or if something else is at fault. Have you run MemTest86 to make sure the RAM is alright?

Only plug in the mobo, video card, ram and hard drive. See if it is cause of PSU being over worked or if something else is at fault. Have you run MemTest86 to make sure the RAM is alright?

well the only other thing i have in there is a cheap dvd/writer drive. and i've just eliminated the psu as the suspect because i swaped the one in this computer with mine and it did the same thing. and i could run memtest since it doesn't get to post, and memtest don't kick in until after that. but i have run memtest in the past when i had some random turn offs and it was fine, just a little too far on the cpu oc. i found one thing though, when i unplug the 4pin cpu, it starts up and stays on, but it doesn't do anything besides that. so i'm guessing that it's the cpu that's the culprit, but is there a way to make sure it is in fact the cpu and not the mobo without swapping parts?

So to summarize, your system doesn't even POST?

Barebones of what you need: PSU, mobo, CPU, 1 stick of memory, graphics card (or on-board)

Forget the harddrives and DVD drives, etc. If you do have a discrete graphics card, did you try swapping it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom