How easy is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice9

In Runtime
Ok I have all the parts for the new computer I want to build, but the problem is I don't know how to build it. The original plan was to have my dads friend who builds computers come show me how to do it, but that might not happen until tuesday or wednesday and all my computer parts are just sitting here yelling at me to put it together. My motherboard came with a manual that gives step by step instructions on how to put it together. It doesnt really talk about the graphics card and sound card much, but I'm guessing those parts will have their own manual. So how easy is it to do this and should I wait or go ahead and try it? Also for grounding issues what do I need to do? Just not work on carpet? And what parts are the most sensitive? Thanks!

its is very easy to do. the motherboard instructions are quite easy to follow. To ground yourself you need an anti-static strap, and you need to connect one end to the metal chassis of the case, and the other end to you. Then you need to plug your computer in (DONT TURN THE SWITCH ON) just so that there is a wire connecting you to ground. Then you will have no static in your body.

Just follow all the instructions carefully, take your time, dont panic and if you have any questions just post on here :)

good luck.

Total Immortal said:
How easy will it be? Not too bad. Were you good with lego's as kid? Good, neither was I :p

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

VERY helpful website. I built my first PC flawlessy with help from that website (as well as this one).

Ok... what if I don't have an anti-static strap? The link you posted recommends holding the case with both hands... then how can you even do anything!?

Ice9 said:
Ok... what if I don't have an anti-static strap? The link you posted recommends holding the case with both hands... then how can you even do anything!?

???

lol, ice9, before u do anything, touch the power supply with both hands, before u start getting down and dirty. that's wat they mean.
but if u can try and get the strap even though u don't need it i've built many computers and never wore the strap, but its better safe than sorry.

xotix said:
lol, ice9, before u do anything, touch the power supply with both hands, before u start getting down and dirty. that's wat they mean.
but if u can try and get the strap even though u don't need it i've built many computers and never wore the strap, but its better safe than sorry.

ok so if I work on my tile I just need to touch the power supply with both hadns (how long?) then thats it?

u'll be fine trust me. just touch it momentarily.

the parts to be extra careful with are the mobo and the processor, so put these in first so u don't have to worry about static problems.

drives and expansion cards are pretty much durable, the former more durable than the latter.

y work on ur tile, ynot a desk??

so if you have a anti-static wrist band will it keep you that way just as long as it is on? will that eliminate all risk of it?

okay basically the only thing that static will destroy is your ram. Its very rarely going to happen. You know how you touch a metal bar sometimes and get zapped?? Well if that happens while your installing any comp parts (mainly ram) you will damage them. Anti-static straps are only about 10 dollars or less maybe. Id rather pay that than fork out however much money for new ram again. (better safe than sorry when messing around with expensive comp parts)

However, saying that, im sure it is very rare that this actually occurs. Usually if you just touch anything thats grounded (go stick a finger in the sand outside, thatll do it) you will be fine. However, if during the installation you rub your foot on some carpet, someone comes long and rubs you on the head or something like that, you can get a build up and subsequent release of static onto your parts.

and yes compy, if you are wearing an anti-static strap, you will be constantly connected to ground, and hence any static in your body will automatically go to ground instead of your ram or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom