Dell Vostro 200... Upgradable For Gaming???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickClick

Solid State Member
Hello everybody. I'm thinking about buying a Vostro 200 for roughly $550. Here is a general breakdown of what my config is:

CPU:
Intel® Core™2 Duo Proc E8300 (2.83GHZ, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333FSB)

Operating System:
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium, Service Pack 1

Memory:
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz - 2DIMMs

Optical Drives:
Single Drive: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

Primary Hard Drive:
500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢

Video Card:
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

Sound:
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Gamer (D) Vista Edition

Network Interface:
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Now, my question is, can I make this into a respectable gaming machine? I already have 4GB of RAM (OCZ) ready to put in and want to put in a 8800 GT(S) or higher video card, along with upgrading the PSU (which is only 300W).

Is it possible to actually switch out the PSU and if so, how many watts should I get? I read that the stock PSU uses 20 pins or something. Also, does anyone know if it's possible to completely rebuild this PC in like a year or two, with new mobo, CPU, GPU, etc.?

Here's the layout of this PC/mobo from Dell:

Documentation

Any tips would be much appreciated.
Thank you very much!

"PCI Express x16 connector" = will hold a graphics card. You will probably have to replace the power supply (PSU), though, as it will probably only have a 240W or a 300W PSU.

How to change the PSU was just on down the same page:
Documentation

"PCI Express x16 connector" = will hold a graphics card. You will probably have to replace the power supply (PSU), though, as it will probably only have a 240W or a 300W PSU.

How to change the PSU was just on down the same page:
Documentation

Yes, I know. But I was wondering if it will hold a 8800GT or better/bigger card. If so, how much wattage do I need and will it fry the mobo or other components if I install a new PSU? Also, would I need additional/better cooling if I upgrade?

Like I said in my original post, this Dell Vostro 200 only has 300W PSU. I know it's not enough if I want to put in a good video card. So I need to know more information regarding this.

Probably isn't good enough, check the Amps on the 12v Rails on it, because Power Supply Wattages isn't enough to tell a good PSU from a Bad one..

Just want to clarify. I do not have this system yet (so I can't physically check it). I'm only thinking about buying it. Trying to decide if it's worth $550 plus a PSU and GPU upgrade... or if it can even allow for such an upgrade.

LoL you guys sound like total morons :p Have you even read the thread? (no offense)

He already said that he has 4 gig of ram and he is looking to get a new psu+gpu but needs to know some stuff.

A new psu won't fry your board or anything, i recommend getting your parts from newegg and getting either a corsair 450vx (8800gt or lower) or a 550vx (8800gt or higher).

I cant really tell you about the board and what the card it can handle, maybe someone else can give you a good recommendation, probably a 8800gts 512mb if it can handle it :)

Dell now uses off-the-shelf parts, so any standard PSU will swap out without any problems.

LoL you guys sound like total morons :p Have you even read the thread? (no offense)

He already said that he has 4 gig of ram and he is looking to get a new psu+gpu but needs to know some stuff.

A new psu won't fry your board or anything, i recommend getting your parts from newegg and getting either a corsair 450vx (8800gt or lower) or a 550vx (8800gt or higher).

I cant really tell you about the board and what the card it can handle, maybe someone else can give you a good recommendation, probably a 8800gts 512mb if it can handle it :)

Actually I did read it, I just forgot it, I can't remember every person on the PC Hardware Zone

Dell now uses off-the-shelf parts, so any standard PSU will swap out without any problems.

they do that now?

PC Power and Cooling have Power supply upgrades for Dells, but I didn't know about Standard PSU's... good to know

Thanks guys. I'm debating if I should get this Vostro 200 and upgrade stuff or get a Gateway FX7026 for $1100+ at Best Buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom