Computer Freezes, doesn't matter what OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

g33k1337o7

Beta member
Okay, I've bought a new set up about 2 months ago and I have yet to get it working properly, as it always likes to freeze. The specs are

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard

EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX Power Supply

Hynix 512MB DDR2 RAM x2

I've never seen the CPU temp go over 39C, even right after a freeze up.

What I mean by freeze is that the computer is no longer responsive (no I/O works) and the screen displays the last thing that I was doing, and I have to use the power button to restart the computer.

The computer boots just fine, no beeps. I reformated the HD and installed windows xp, but with windows installed the computer freezes either when "loading personal settings" or 10 minutes after loading windows. It was rare that it would get past loading personal settings w/o freezing though. (I had all of the new drivers for my hardware reinstalled as well)

Then I decided to just try a fresh install of Ubuntu linux to see if the problem was just with windows. Ubuntu boots up just fine and if I don't move the mouse that much and just let the computer sit, it won't freeze for days, but after using the computer (just installing stuff, or browsing the internet) for half an hour or so, I'll get a freeze.

I also get a freeze when I am in the BIOS, but only if I go into the menu to switch the VCore to something else. Just going into the menu, not actually changing anything in the menu. Anywhere else in the Bios is just fine and won't freeze at all.

I ran memtest86 and I always get a freeze (not an error) in Test #5

No BSOD's have popped up at all, only freezes.

Can't think of anything else to say about it, if anyone has any ideas, they would be appreciated.

Sounds like a bad mobo. Or maybe the CPU is not seated right. Or the RAM.

The RAM works just fine in my other machine, so I'm reluctant to think its that. The power supply also works like a charm in the other computer, so I"m reluctant to think its that. The first mobo I got from the company "blew up" so I got another brand new one, and with all the amazing reviews on NewEgg, I'm reluctant to think that I got two bad mobos one after the other. I've made sure time and again that the CPU is seated right and that the artic silver is on there right, the heatsink and fan fit on the mobo well and are snapped in place.

Don't read newegg reviews, they are for lack of a better word, crap.

Try another motherboard, installing windows on a different partition.

I have another mobo, but it doesn't have a socket for dual core, so I have to use my old single core 2.6g, and that set up works just fine (with everything else from the above spec list used, minus mobo and cpu, obviously). I've just never heard of a mobo or cpu being unusable like this, usually its all or nothing, either boots or doesn't. I've never had an issue getting past post or getting to the boot process.

just remembered, I also got freezes when I booted from a live ubuntu disk. but still always after about half an hour of use (still checked the cpu temp after the freeze and it was still okay around 35-39 C)

Also, If I set the cpu multiplyer to 6X (bringing the hertz down from stock 3.0 to 2.0) the computer doesn't freeze for a much longer time ( gives me an extra hour or so)

just out of curiosity what are the specs of the other pc you tried your psu.

I ask cause if the test rig uses lower amperage we can't rule out an inadequate power supply.

I don't have the computer in front of me right now, but it was an old e-machine, set up for a single core processor, which is think is a Intel Celeron 2.6ghtz. and then the gfx card, ram, and psu from above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom