DDR vs SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoapOnARoap

Baseband Member
Hi everybody! (Dr. Nick ><)

My old rig uses good old fashion SDR RAM - 256 MB of it. After receiving a rather handsome paycheck ( ;) ) I have been considering fixing up my old power tower with some new tech, including some additional RAM. Now the question is, is it possible to install DDR RAM alongside my existing SDR RAM, and if not, should I scrap my old RAM and replace it with some new DDR? Or is it not worth the switch from SDR to DDR?

your CPU's FSB(front side bus) , mother bourds FSB, and ram speed go hand in hand.

SD ram- runs at 133mhz

DDR(double data rate) - most common is.. pc2700, and pc3200.
2700- runs at 166, but sends and recieves info at the same time(doubling rate) so the bus runs at 333mhz.
3200- runs at 400mhz
----------------------------------------------------------------------
so yea, DDR would be a big improvement, but chancess are, your cpu and mobo dont support it, so u may need to get those also.

note- u cant put ddr in a SDram DIMM slot, thy use different # of pins.

There is a massive difference between SDRAM and DDR memory, DDR gives a massive performance boost.

You will not be able to use them side-by-side.

What CPU and motherboard are you currently using?

if you have SDRAM in there, then you will need to upgrade the MBD to support DDR, of course doing this almost definatley need to update the CPU due to different socket types on newer MBD as well as higher voltages (doubt you could bring the voltage down THAT much, and doubt the old processor has same socket, could be an old ZIF socket or something), then the memory.

killians45 said:
if you have SDRAM in there, then you will need to upgrade the MBD to support DDR, of course doing this almost definatley need to update the CPU due to different socket types on newer MBD as well as higher voltages (doubt you could bring the voltage down THAT much, and doubt the old processor has same socket, could be an old ZIF socket or something), then the memory.

Not always true, there borads out that runs on either or, but only on or the other.

ddr just stands for double data rate

sdr is single data rate

sdram stands for synchronous dynamic random access memory, so the only difference is ddr and sdr (and maybe in the future . . . TDR [triple data rate])

but i don't get it, it says it's both...how in the hell? does it just work for both types of boards or some thing?

in the link i sent up top, look at it, it says 184 ddr sdram, i think i may have been misstaken though, i was thinking of some thing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom