8600GS 512mb Vs 7950GT 512mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
7950gt hands down...

the 8600gs uses GDDR2 512mb, and the 7950gt uses GDDR3 512mb, which is significantly better there, also the 8600gs is weaker than a 7600gt, and the 7600gt is worse than the 7950gt, hope that helps...

Ive already bought it, i got it for a good price(just the tower) and even though i know how to put a pc together i couldnt be bothered with the hassle of something not working out(im not very patient).
The new pc came with the 8600GS and my old computer has the 7950GT, so it sounds like ill be swapping the cards round then :)

Its strange because my old pc was a AMD X2 4200(stock) 2GBS of ram, you'd think that would run Battlefield 2142 great right?
Played the same game on my new pc, Q6600, 3GBS of ram and the slower 8600GS yet i can play with the same settings and its SOOOOOO much smoother?
I really thought my GPU was holding me back, clearly it was the cpu then? because 2 GBs is more than enough.

The Q6600 (Intel) will have a much better processor performance than that of any AMD dual or quad core. Also, I am not sure how the 7950GT compares to a 9600GT or 8800GT, but either of those would probably outperform yours and give you maximum settings for all the newest games.

Yeah i know my new quad core out performs my old amd lol

Anyone know why my old system(see above) didnt perform as smooth as my new pc with a less powerful gpu? i mean my old pc smashed the requirements for 2142, which i know it ISN'T the most graphics intense game out, its just my all time fav game.

Because of the CPU. You already stated that and I confirmed you were right. Any AMD CPU (even the 3.2GHz 6400+) will be outperformed by a lower clocked Intel Core 2 Duo or Quad. Your old X2 4200 was severely hampering your system.

Because of the CPU. You already stated that and I confirmed you were right. Any AMD CPU (even the 3.2GHz 6400+) will be outperformed by a lower clocked Intel Core 2 Duo or Quad. Your old X2 4200 was severely hampering your system.

I just didnt think the x2 4200 was that bad for Battlefield games, clearly its not the best, not if you want medium to high settings and smooth gameplay anyway.

Just out of interest im going to run 3Dmark 06 with the 8600GS since its already installed, then do the test again with the 7950GT :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom