Comp wont power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkolk

In Runtime
So my comp is about 2 1/2 years old and ive kept it on 24/7 for a couple weeks, but i turned it off overnight recently because of the hot weather. Today I wake up go to turn it on and when i pressed the power buttons, i heard the fans come on briefly and see the power/hdd lights flash, then it just stops there and turns back off. If i press the power button a secod time, nothing happens. If i turn the power supply off then back on, ill hear the fans and lights flash briefly again then nothing.

Sounds as if your PSU might have fried. Can you test it with another PSU?

What are the chances the mobo being the prob? I would figure if it was the psu it wouldnt spin the fans at all.
I reset the ram (seems to fix alot of problems) didnt do anything.

The fan could still spin even if the power supply is shot. I would see about testing with another power supply. Also, they make power supply testers that you plug the 20 pin (or 24 pin) power into it and it will tell you if that is working properly. Not sure where you could get a tester, but we had them at my last workplace and they saved me a bunch of hassle.

Well since you can not get anything else to fire up i would say the chances of the mobo being the issue a very good chance. The fans will spin. It is just the rest that i am concerned with.

Try holding the power button down and see if it boots up, or at least keeps the fans spinning longer. Thats the exact symptoms i had when my motherboard took a dump on me. If i hit the power button, it would fire up for about 3 seconds then go right back off.

Try holding the power button down and see if it boots up, or at least keeps the fans spinning longer. Thats the exact symptoms i had when my motherboard took a dump on me. If i hit the power button, it would fire up for about 3 seconds then go right back off.

holding power button doesnt keep it on longer

well i finally got around to do some testing.

I pulled out the power supply and shorted 2 of the pins on the mobo cable to turn it on. (this is supposed to happen) I measured the voltages of all the pins and everything checked out ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom