Computer for Grandpa

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_durrough22

Beta member
Hello. My grandpa constantly complains about his junk emachines computer and so I have decided to build him one from scratch with a help from a friend for father's day.

He only needs a computer to check emails, surf the web, and type documents. Pretty simple. His goal is to get a solid computer which has durable parts but that aren't too cheap. Here's what I've come up with, and any advice would be great.

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon X2 4450e 2.3GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W 65nm Dual-Core Processor

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Rosewill R103A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply with 20+4 pin connector

I could probably spend $100 more so I could invest that in a better cpu/motherboard. He obviously isn't gaming so an integrated video card setup would be more beneficial right?

The case is pretty cheap but he doesn't need anything flashy.

Fire away. Thanks in advance for any help.

J

Prototype, he mentioned that this computer is for his 'Grandpa' for the use of checking emails, surfing the web, and typing word documents. Do you really think he is going to overclock this machine?

- Integrated graphics will be absolutely fine.
- I would suggest buying a separate power supply though; power supplies that come with cases tend to be poorly made. 400watt would probably be fine, 450watt would be for sure fine/safest. The +12V rail(s) is what is important.
- That CPU will be just fine for this type of computer, he'll be very happy with it. I don't know how it compares (at $80) to what Intel has at $80 (I bet very similar), but he'll be happy with the 4450e speed and performance.

As for the motherboard, I'd wait for someone with better knowledge with motherboards than I have to suggest if another board would be better @ that price range.

With that $100 I'd buy a better case and the power supply. A case like the one I have (Cooler Master Centurion 5) is a good case for the price ($45) and cools quite nicely. As for the power supply, I'd probably go with a Thermaltake or FSP Group power supply; they are a good bang for the buck PSU at the 400w-450w range. Antec and OCZ are some other good PSU, although they are more spendy.

Newegg.com - FSP Group SAGA+ 400R ATX12V 400W Power Supply 120/220 - 240v NEMKO, TUV, CSA, IEC, UL, CE - Power Supplies - Something like this would be good..it's not pretty but definitely gets the job done nicely (I'd know because it's what I'm using, hehe).

Also, don't forget about the operating system! and a CD/DVD drive if you don't have an extra lying around.

Thanks for the feedback.

My budget is $450 before operating system and it is about $350 with my current specs - so i have some room to breathe. with my current specs

KSingler - I'll look into another case and buy a separate power supply like the one you recommended - something with more than 350w.

Also, for the operating system, I currently use Windows Vista Home Basic on my recently built computer and it runs fine. But, I'm thinking of just going with XP professional since that is what he is familiar with. What do you think?

Isn't XP out and done for on the 30th of this month (June). Anyways, I think Vista Home Basic should be fine, unless it would be hard for him to switch over to a newer interface. You could just use XP, but like I said, last I heard the support for XP or maybe even the ability to buy XP was going to stop at the end of this month.

Looks good, but that case isn't compatible with a Micro ATX motherboard like the one you posted in your first post. So you need to find another case. I'd personally go with the Cooler Master Centurion or Elite line of cases. Nicely built cases that are Micro ATX compatible and they have good airflow all for a great price. Just really be concerned about the power supply.

Considering your budget, stick with the 4450e.. no reason to spend more money on a CPU for a computer that is going to be running very minimal functions. The 4450e will blow away anything that your Granpda will be doing.

Ah you're right. I thought my motherboard was ATX not micro ATX, thanks for pointing that out.

I'll post my final spec in a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom