Loptop memory problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

yangmanrui

Baseband Member
I have a Gateway MX3215 laptop and I bought a brand-new 1gb memory. (DDR2 PC2-4200 memory). when I restarted my computer nothing happened - black screen, no BIOS beeping. I put the original one in and computer worked fine. I put the new one in, the same problem - black screen - BUT when I put the original memory inside again , the computer wouldn't work anymore.

What can I do?

manrui

My first impulse is that the memory is mis seated which can be surprisingly easy to do. Make sure it's inserted slowly and the memory stick is flush. Sometimes one end can be misclamped or sticking out just a bit and that's enough to cause a bad contact and the lappy won't post.

Also try booting the laptop with no memory installed. You should get a simple POST error, either text on the screen or a beep code. Do you hear any beeps currently? My guess is no...

This model only holds one stick. So if it is inserted correctly it should boot right up. You may have damaged the socket if your old ram still doesn't work. That can happen forcing a ddr2 stick into a ddr socket.

After doing some research, I found this. You are not alone with this problem. Two different chipsets, two different types of memory. You may need a 1gb PC2700 DDR SDRAM stick.

Memory Problems for a Gateway Mx3215 Laptop - FixYa

Thanks for your advice and for the link. Mr. DawnofDoom told me to take out the CMOS battery, wait 5 seconds and put it back. It worked.

Thanks for your help.

Man Rui

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom