older CPU question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokernod

In Runtime
I know this is kinda ridiculous, But ive always kinda liked playing around with my Coms.....Pulling them apart, changing things, .....just horsing around.
I have a couple of stupid questions (as usual)

I know that Sempron 1.8 3100+ I have is better/faster than the P4 Celeron 1.8 that I have, but just how much better/faster?
( I had the HP first so Ive just always used it, but lately Im thinking of pulling all my parts out of this HP and putting them in that (use to be) Compaq.

Ive always been one, That, when I had a bad virus (which is rare these days), instead of trying to track down the problem, like I used to do, I just reformatted and reloaded windows....Is this hurting anything?....I mean Ive done it ALOT!

I cant for the life of me figure out which MoBo is better
HP Imperial or the ECS 755 a2 (as Ive said before, I just dont understand motherboards)
Though Ive never been able to get sound from the ECS (jumpers, Im sure), I had to put a soundcard in it to get it working

Im sure I have more questions....but I cant remember them now. Having one of those bad days I guess.

AMD's model numbers correspond to the speed of a p4 that will equal there performance. Based off that the Sepron 3100+ is as fast as a 3.1ghz Celeron or p4.

ROFL! I know the feeling.Plus AMD's chew through games like gangbusters.

I knew they were better but not like almost 3x faster! I just always assumed because it was 1.8ghz (same as my Celeron) and it wasnt a dual core that it wasnt that much better than the Celeron. Geez, Im glad I found this site!
The lady that gave me that computer (after the graphics interface went out on the motherboard) always said it was alot faster than the 2.4ghz pentium that her boyfriend was using (a computer that I worked on for him all the time). I assumed it was because she probably barely used it and it just didnt have any programs on it to slow it down.

I wouldn't say that they perform like they're really 3 times faster... But they are quite a bit faster than their Intel Equivalents... At least that's how it used to be.

Tables have turned

Well you guys definitly know your CPUs. After I switched to the Sempron Com I did a little test. I opened Photoshop (I already had it loaded on this computer, and it does open faster, but I havent added all my plugind yet.) and opened a new canvas, really large. 3000x3000px at 1000DPI. I just grabbed the "Fill" tool and filled the canvas with black and it was pretty much instant! With that Celeron it was block by block starting at the top left and working its way down bottom right. BIG IMPROVEMENT! Not that it bothered me before but, Why ride a donkey to town when you have a car, right?
Thanks for the Info Guys;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom