Good Backup Software And How To Use It...recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OIDanTheManIO

Fully Optimized
can someone please recommend a good backup program to back up an HDD entirely? also, can someone please tell me how to restore what i have backed in the event that my pc WONT BOOT/ thnx, -Dan The Man ;)

Harro,

Ok basically I didn't under stand much of what you said in your post :beard: but I think I understand what you're looking for.

I'm sure you've heard of symantec? Norton AV, Ghost, Clean Sweep, etc?

Well if not now ya have :D Basically what you want to do is purchase a copy of Norton Ghost. Hit up google and type in Norton Ghost and bam you see Norton Ghost 2003 $24.99.

Well there ya go :) It's very simple and comes with many great options and features. Also if you're planning on upgrading mobo's any time soon I know for a fact that Biostar shipps with Ghost, I believe Gigabyte does and Asus as well I believe (don't hold me to it on Asus their stengy.)

Even though it's self explanitory and it walks you through it, this is beating the dead horse i know, but oh well; here are the basic steps:

1. Install Ghost
2. Run Ghost
3. Click Backup
4. Select the drive/drives to backup
5. Select destination (note: It can NOT be one of the drives you're backing up, see the note2 at the end.)
6. Click next
7. Have 2 floppies handy and insert 1 of them. Follow the automated directions when to remove and insert the 2nd one.
8. It will take it from here and finish up and bring you back to your windows prompt.

(Note2: Now you can use CD-R/RW, or DVD-R/RW, but I would suggest having another Harddrive in your system just for backups/downloads. I personally keep all downloads on my 100gig HD and my OS/installs on my 200gig. If you do not have another Harddrive lying around you should create another partition on your drive just for this purpose. I would suggest creating it one fourth the size of the entire drive for ghost purposes, these files are NOT small.

If you need to create a new partition on your drive that's a whole different ballgame. You will need to use something like Partition Magik 8.02 or something of the sort. I suggest PM8 because It rarely gives me problems. Maybe 5% of the time, but if you follow the backup directions you will make your floppies and be in great shape.

If further direction is needed please say so and I'll be glad to try and help.)

Koopa Out :cool:

thanx for your help man, it seems easier than i thought it would be! you say just one fourth of the HDD? i was thinking one half though since i am backing up the entire HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom