Upgrading my server...

Status
Not open for further replies.

__Camouflage__

Daemon Poster
I have an old desktop that I use as a media center/2nd computer. I'm wanting to upgrade it so I can use it more often. This is a custom built computer that I built a few years ago. I'm wanting to upgrade the CPU, RAM, HDD's, DVD-RW, video card, ect...

I'm going to keep the motherboard, and I am not going to change it.

Computer specs :

Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
512Mb PC2700
80GB Western Digital Protege 5400RPM (Dinosaur.)
128Mb ATI Radeon 9200SE (AGP)

Accessories :
Linksys WMP54G
500Gb External FireWire HDD

I have been looking into a few things that I am wanting to upgrade, but I haven't been in the computer seen for a long time... So far, I have found the RAM, CPU, DVD-RW and hard drives.

2GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR400
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
2 Western Digital Caviar SATA 500GB drives
Asus BluRay Combo Drive (Since this is a media center basically. I have a 52" HDTV that I have and will continue to have hooked up to this computer.)

I need to find a card that can support HD, and still be compatible with my motherboard.

It looks like your upgrading everything except for the motherboard, why don't you just make a new system instead.

You could really use any of the Newer Nvidia AGP line.

They still promote a bunch of cards that don't require the PCI-E bus, and do support HD.
There are a couple of decent cards out (512mb DX9 etc...) that are sub $200.

I don't know the Names or exact specs off the top of my head (not much of a gamer or graphics person, I'm content with my Nvidia 5200FX that came stock with my system)

Hopefully this helps.

More power to the people recycling their systems and keeping them going rather than buying into the "Ohh I'll just buy a new one" mentality.
I've had the same computer for 4-5 years and its kept me very happy with some little upgrades here and there, that I happened to stumble across.

Keep up with the upgrades, you'll keep that computer running for a good long while.

Dr.Dos.

It looks like your upgrading everything except for the motherboard, why don't you just make a new system instead.

Motherboard and new power supply would be more costly over all. Since I am not going to upgrade the motherboard or PSU, I will be able to keep my old parts as back ups.

You could really use any of the Newer Nvidia AGP line.

They still promote a bunch of cards that don't require the PCI-E bus, and do support HD.
There are a couple of decent cards out (512mb DX9 etc...) that are sub $200.

I don't know the Names or exact specs off the top of my head (not much of a gamer or graphics person, I'm content with my Nvidia 5200FX that came stock with my system)

Hopefully this helps.

More power to the people recycling their systems and keeping them going rather than buying into the "Ohh I'll just buy a new one" mentality.
I've had the same computer for 4-5 years and its kept me very happy with some little upgrades here and there, that I happened to stumble across.

Keep up with the upgrades, you'll keep that computer running for a good long while.

Dr.Dos.

I plan on running this computer as long as the parts let me. I built it a good 5 years ago, and I have always used it. Yeah, I bought a new computer, but it's a laptop, and I only bought it for convenience.

AGP, HDMI, HDCP Ready @ Newegg:
Click here

I like the 2600PRO, seems like most of the owners actually liked the card compared to the others. I won't be using it for gaming or anything, so this should suffice. The only problems I see with these card are the fact there isn't one with built in HDMI. For the price of that, I can't see it being a huge problem though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom