Upgrade Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdos

Solid State Member
Hey Yall I have a couple of questions for ya.

I am a rather advanced computer user but until now have never really dealt with ram modules over 1gb in size.

I just ordered 8 GB of ram (4x2gb) and when I inserted one of the modules into my computer it would not boot. (Black Screen with Medium length evenly spaced beeps).

I do not think that the ram is fried (I tried all 4 modules).

I am using the Asus Stingray (LA) motherboard (As part of the HP a265c pavillion) Purcahsed a bit ago.
I have an Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz H/T processor (mPGA478).

So basically I am wondering,

Is there a problem with the motherboard not being able to take a 2gb stick (as one module). I have had 2048mb of memory in the machine before but that was as 4x512mb.

Is this something I can correct by attempting to find a BIOS update or do I just need to purchase a new motherboard?

With that answer comes another question potentially.
What motherboard would be able to handle multiple 2 GB sticks of RAM and ALSO would have a mPGA478 Socket on it.

(Ideally it would have dual mPGA478 sockets.........can you use 2 processors of different speeds in a SMP rig? IE one P4 2.8Ghz H/T and one P4 3.0Ghz H/T?)

Sorry for the broken format of my questions,
but I thank you all in advance for your help and I look forward to hopefully being able to put my 18 or so years of computing knowledge to work here,
(can't know everything, no matter how much you try) :)

Thanks,
Dr.Dos.:happy:

Do you know the voltage of the RAM? A problem I have had with ASUS is the voltage of the RAM not being accepted. One solution would be to try RAM with voltages of 1.85 and lower.

What kind of operating system are you running?

I have had the problem with the ASUS boards not accepting a 2GB stick. The only way I got mine to work was to have 1GB sticks and I could only fill three of the four slots.

Your motherboard can't use 2gb sticks of ram, I think 1gb is max per stick. Plus unless you have an 64bit OS it won't be able to recognize more than 3gb of ram.

Hey yall,
Thanks for the quick replies.

I know that I cannot use over 3gb of ram in a 32bit operating environment, I was planning on upgrading to a 64bit native environment right after I got this ram working.

So there is no way to modify the bios (or install a bios update) to get this ram recognized?

So as for the other questions,
Do any of yall know what motherboard I could use (and would be the best) that would recognize 2gb sticks of ram and use an mPGA478 socket?

The Ram I have is 2.5v and Is from IBM (and there is a newer looking sticker that says ELPIDA 2gb PC2700R-25330-N1)

The IBM sticker says the same thing but adds CL2.5 2.5V D E OPT: 73P2269 FRU:73P2274

Does anyone know if the ASROCK P4VM8 (or B) mobo would accept the 2GB sticks?

Thanks!

Dr.Dos.

Thanks brinks.

Well I'm planning on getting rid of the 2gb sticks anyhow. What would you recommend to get for a mobo. I would Like a mobo with the mPGA478 socket (can I go dual processor with 2 p4 h/t if one is 3.0Ghz and the other is 2.8Ghz?)

Would I notice a much difference with a 64bit os and 4gb of PC2700 (or PC3200) ram
versus 4GB DDR2 667 RAM? (The DDR2 ram is cheaper as well right?) What is the Fastest ram I can get with a 3.0Ghz p4 h/t and an mPGA478 board?

I am trying to upgrade without having to go all the way and go LGA775 for a Dual Core processor etc.....don't really have the money for it yet, and honestly I see pretty good results with what I do out ofmy 3ghz H/t Single core.

What would you do Brinks or anyone else.

Dr.Dos.

Now that I look back and read your post more carefully, you got server ram for a normal desktop motherboard.

I don't think a 64bit OS can run on a p4 because the cpu is not 64bit.

Socket 478 is for Pentium 4, mono-processor systems. I don't think Dual socket boards exist.

I would just leave your current system alone, you have a fast enough processor for that socket type and enough ram with 2gb already.

If you really want better, best option is to get a whole new system.

Ahhhh,
I see. Thanks for your answer. Well its a good thing that I have a couple of Proliant servers lying around :-D

I didn't realize that servers ran with 2.5v memory as apposed to lower desktop memory (1.8v etc...)

Much appreciated.

As to just leaving things alone. Why would I do that? Thats at least 1/2 the fun of having a computer(s) is being able to take things apart re tool them and put them back together and make them work (if not faster or better, then differently at least) then you see what options you have available to you in the future.

I haven't played around with hardware too much, mostly just software and related things.
I've hacked around with changing a couple of wires here and there, and looking at schematics and pin-outs and seeing what options I had, but not too excessively.

I personally don't think that "Just leaving things alone" is ever (or rarely) a good option. (if you are willing to deal with the consequences if you break something. Like don't go crazy with sketchy mods on your only or primary system.

Computers are about learning and fun in my eyes. I am 25 and have been mucking about with computers since I could move my hands and started to have rational thought. I had the rudiments of BASIC programming by the time I was 4 or 5 years old, and since then have broken more machines than I have fixed :-D (but I enjoyed and learned from every second of it).

Sorry,
I didnt want to turn this into an epic novella of a post, I just get a little worked up when people say to just leave things alone, and get something new. I've aquired all of my parts en-masse from yardsales or the local dump or exchanges etc....I'm all about trying to make what you have work with what you have or can get, not about just buying new stuff when you can't figure something out.

Thanks!
Again I look forward to helping out on this site where I can and being an active contributor.

Dr.Dos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom