Help upgrading heat sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsteffens

Contributor
Well my computer is up and running. The only 'problems' are the startup quirks with the IP35E by ABIT and the front headphones issues with the antec 900 (which I hear is common). Overall this computer operates and games very well so far.

However I want to upgrade the heatsink on the Q6600 I have. The stock one seems to have the most retarded mounting clips I've ever seen, and the CPU itself runs around 60 degrees celsius. I don't need anything insane but a great step from stock would be appreciated. I have not tried overclocking yet. Is this just a matter of going into the BIOS and changing what I run the CPU at?

Thanks!

When you first start to overclock, there are other settings in the bios that you first must change. After those are changed it will than mostly be the ram/cpu speed/timing/voltages, etc.

Go for a Xigamtek such as this for your quad.
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-SD964 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Or you can go with a cheaper but still much much better than stock one
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

If you want a better mounting option than the standard intel pins which the majortiy of heatsinks have get this.
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

It replaces the push-pins with spring screws. I have a thermalright set and they are awesome.

You got an eVGA 750i FTW?

Yes i just purchased one and another 250GB hdd to raid 0 for since you have to re-format with a new mobo. The money came from my graduation money. I am going to be attending college soon and im trying to get everything ready to where i have very good options to hold me a while and to upgrade easy. My single 8800GT and e6300 overclocked as high as it is should hold me for a while but my 750i mobo will let me add a second 8800GT since SLI scales so well now for not much money.

anyway back to the OP that xigmatek should be all you need if you say your not going to be doing anything insane. It should handle 3.2 or so on your Q6600

i wasn't sure if you could do that with the cheapest rifle though. I know you can with the first one i posted

Okay well when you say cheaper it's not a huge difference, so I'm goin with the first one you posted and also going to order that bracket. Now the MOBO has to come out to swap these properly right? Should I also order that grease stuff too? EDIT: There is a zillion brands that popup on newegg, is any one better than the other???

Thanks!!!!!!

yes you will need thermal paste. Get tx-2. Some times you don't have to take the mobo out of the case to put a heatsink on but i find it very difficult to do it inside the case so it is best to take it out :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom