x86 or x64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalviNet

Baseband Member
Hi, I'm currently planning out a high-end build, and I was wondering whether I should use a 32 bit or a 64 bit OS. What are the pros/cons of each on Windows XP and Windows Vista?

Thanks!

Depends on whether you plan to move to 4gb + in the future and have a video card that has a lot of Video RAM, because then you would have to use the 64bit Operating System to utilize it all

As for Vista and XP, main difference is look and performance, along with security, Vista has the most out of all those (as long as you have a decent PC to go with it)

Sorry, probably should have included some specifications. The RAM budget includes 4gB, but if x86 is better I would drop 2gB of that.
The video card is an EVGA 9800GTX which I believe has 512mB.

Are the x64 versions of these operating systems stable? Will they work with most hardware/software?

I run vista home premium 64 with 4gb of memory and SLI 9800GTX and havent had any hiccups. I quite prefer it to XP now that i have gotten used to it.

I haven't had a single problem with x64 Vista since I got it 2 weeks ago, it's great and I'd go for it.

I'm running XP 64 on my rig and it works really well, i definitely recommend it.

Still not a fan of vista.

wait a second......................that's probably why CCC reads only 512mb of GDDR3 n 256-bit, n 320 SP.........it's because it's a ****ing 32-bit OS..........DOES THIS MEAN THE REST OF THE OS ISNT REALLY USING THE SECOND HALF OF MY CARD? ONLY ONE-HALF????? SON OF A *****!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:

my card i mean :).

wait a second......................that's probably why CCC reads only 512mb of GDDR3 n 256-bit, n 320 SP.........it's because it's a ****ing 32-bit OS..........DOES THIS MEAN THE REST OF THE OS ISNT REALLY USING THE SECOND HALF OF MY CARD? ONLY ONE-HALF????? SON OF A *****!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:

my card i mean :).

it's possible heh but i don't see why not....perhaps you have 64 bit drivers or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom