Nvidia or ATI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I do plan to SLI/Crossfire... And if i'm correct you can crossfire with different cards but with SLI you need the same card, and I have also heard that crossfire scales better then SLI. So would two 8800GT or 8800GTS in SLI be better then two 3870's in crossfire?

Can you do crossfire on a regular mobo with SLI capabilities? or do you need a special motherboard?

No SLi and Crossfire are not interchangeable. Just like Intel and AMD CPU's are not interchangeable.

You need a special mobo to do any of those.

But I do plan to SLI/Crossfire... And if i'm correct you can crossfire with different cards but with SLI you need the same card, and I have also heard that crossfire scales better then SLI. So would two 8800GT or 8800GTS in SLI be better then two 3870's in crossfire?

Can you do crossfire on a regular mobo with SLI capabilities? or do you need a special motherboard?
8800 GTS SLI > 3870 crossfire > 8800 GT SLI
but it's close between 3870's crossfired and 8800 GT's SLI'd

but you need a motherboard to specifically support crossfire or SLI. there is no motherboard currently that can do both, and it's not likely to happen in future.

I didn't mean use an ATI and NVidia card in the same system at the same time... I ment can any motherboard with 2 pci express x16 slots do crossfire?

sorry I was unclear.

No board can do that, the Skulltrail board just has support for each, you cannot do it at the same time

and no, the board has to be Crossfire supported (some P35, AMD Chipsets, some x38's), because theres no way nVidia wants Crossfire Support on their boards

that stinks... and newegg only has 4 crossfire motherboards (when I searched crossfire motherboard)

Guess I will probilby get the 8800GT or GTS (when price drops)

that stinks... and newegg only has 4 crossfire motherboards (when I searched crossfire motherboard)

Guess I will probilby get the 8800GT or GTS (when price drops)

You do realize prices have dropped alot already right? People were paying $270 for 8800gt's back when it came out.

Seriously... you can now get HD 3870's Crossfire mode for about $300, 9600gt SLI for $290, 8800gt 512mb SLI for $320ish, I remember people paying around that for 1 8800gt 512

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom