Intel Core 2 Extreme + Picking a processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer to your question is no.. any P35 motherboard will do fine.
You will see no performance increase by paying tons more for the ability to use SLI/Crossfire. Which btw is the ability to use more than one GPU at one time.

If you aren't going to SLi/Crossfire. Definitely go with a good P35 motherboard around ~$100. No point to buy a motherboard more than that.

Did you read his first post? His budget is $1500. The only reason he's considering a qx6850 is because he's getting an amazing deal on it.

thirdshiftdj, I have to recommend against a Zalman. I had a 9700 and it didn't do the greatest at cooling my qx6700.

if you aren't going to OC then get the qx6850 because it will run faster and be cheaper. it is a bit silly that you aren't even considering an OC though...

Is it really silly that I'm worried about an OC on a $1,000 chip, especially when I have absolutely no need to OC? Not to mention I've never OC'd anything before.

yes, it is silly
the QX series are DESIGNED for you to OC them
thats why they are the Xtreme series.
in these times, OCing is completely safe as long as you don't feed your components too much juice ( Power/Volts)
if anything goes wrong, you can just reset everything back to stock(original settings) by clearing CMOS
so how much juice is too much? ask around kids around here are helpful

Too much juice is if you put too much voltage (around 1.5v I think? but that depends on your cooling) or if the temperatures are far too high, and the most important rule is don't get greedy and selfish, just because one guy can get 3.6ghz on his Core 2 Quad q6600, doesn't mean you can get the exact same thing, each chip is different, they each have their own VID making them unique

Fine - I'll OC.

So if I get the QX6850, what board would be a good one to go with? Also, what kind of PSU would I be looking at?

Another thing I've been wondering about is case size - obviously I don't want something huge, but do I need to get a fullsize case as opposed to a mid-size? I heard the 8800GT is pretty long, and I want to have room for proper cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom