PC upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

shenvoid01

In Runtime
I have an old pc (ASUS amd athlon xp 2400 2gb ddr sdram) I am finding that it is becoming more difficult to do basic things like watching youtube and posting on bulletins. I was thinking about upgrading the processor to an intel celeron 2.8ghz but i'm wondering if its a motherboard issue as well. I eventually want to sell the pc but I'm worried about how much its going to be worth. I wanted to sell it with a monitor for at least $300. What do you think?

ASUS amd athlon xp 2400 1.5gb ddr sdram 1.5ghz-2.1
200gb IDE HD

Know any students that could use a starter system? I setup an old Socket A build seeing an XP3200+ with 1gb of Corsair xms DDR400 memory to run 98SE.

That old build saw the Asus A7N8X Deluxe with what should have been the old 120gb drive but cooked by a friend when loaned out since that person's case was never cleaned and saw a blanket of dust on the board! The hard drive cooked leaving the student a 40gb to work with.

With a brand new system you see an 80% reduction of value in about 2yr.s time from new. Now compare that to one 4-5yrs. old and you can't expect to see more then $300 if you even see that. In a few short years the transition from hardwares to hardwares is simply too fast paced.

I think that you would be lucky to get $300 for that system. At best you would be lucky to get $200.

If you have a AMD CPU in the mobo now. No way you will get a Intel in there. ;)

if you are having difficulties doing basic things like surfing the web, I think its more of an OS issue rather than hardware.

try doing a boot time(?) scan with avast!
scan with adaware
scan with Eusing registry scanner
scan with spybot search & destroy

see if that helps
then again, I could be completely wrong

(?)- not sure whats it called ;P

Once a copy of Windows gets too polluted over a period of time the common thought is actually a wipe of the drive to start fresh as well as the likely need to replace the battery on the board and update the bios if not already done to the last version available. A fresh start will all updated drivers will see most problems and certainly a slower registry loaded with useless entries replaced with a fresh one seeing an overall performance boost.

The latest AVG 8.0 easily surpasses Avast as far as antivirus and now adding internet security to some extent in the free version with an optional IE toolbar. That adds more antiphishing protection over IE 7 presently does.

Mak213 caught upto you about replacing a cpu on an AMD board(Socket A) with an Intel Celeron. That will never happen. For that you would need to swap out the AMD board for an older Intel model only adding to the overall loss by spending more on a sinking ship in that sense.

I'm sure its not a virus b/c I already have avg. Youtube videos will not load and tha's usually a sign your computer is old which is why I was pondering upgrading the processor.

Having AVG does not mean you can not get a virus...

YouTube videos not loading does not mean the PC is old. Jsut means you could have a out of date flash, shockwave or Java. Could be infected with Spyware which AVG does not stop.

I agree it sounds more like a software or OS issue. Perhaps you need a good clean out of junk files, in-depth malware scanning and a serious defrag. Ccleaner now has a defrag program on their website, but I have not tried it yet because I have Diskeeper.

Correction on one thing! AVG doesn't stop spyware? I can readily disagree with that after having seen different releases of AVG over the last several years jump on trojans even while AVG was totally disabled in the msconfig! AVG would spring to life out of nowhere to flag a trojan some site was trying to stuff on the drive.

No one program will stop everything and why the best advice will always be being familiar with several programs and removers. A good wipe of the drive to remove all clutter and clean copy of Windows seeing all updates for Java runtime, flash player, you name it would see videos at youtube and other sites able to be played.

Have you been to SUN lately for the latest runtime? Java SE Downloads

AVG the Anti-Virus does not stop spyware. AVG Anti-spyware DOES. There is a difference. Stopping a virus download is not the same as spyware. I would expect someone like you to recognize the difference Eye. Come on now to say that AVG Anti-Virus stop spyware is bogus and you know it. Stopping viruses is understandable. But to disagree and then say how it stopped a trojan??

Not the same thing at all. Spyware is not the same as a trojan or virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom