Re-OC'ing my Rig...amateur needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjam420

Solid State Member
Ok...for some reason my OC was reset. I have read if it's unstable that happens...but whats weird was that I ran my E2180 2.0 @ 2.9GHZ for almost 5 months with no problems. I even installed a heatsink to make it run cooler.

I am by no means a computer master and hardly know anything about OC'ing so I cant figure out for the life of me why it was reset. I did get a warning when I restarted my PC one time saying that "some settings had been changed do i want to save these settings as default".

I have added 2GB more ram to my rig recently as well...so maybe that changed something?

I want to re-OC my stuff.

----------

Heres my Build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
CPU: Intel Pentium E2180 2.0GHz (OC'd to 2.9GHz)
RAM: 4GB OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
GPU: Diamond Viper Radeon HD 3850 256MB
PSU: Silverstone Element ST50EF-PLUS 500W

----------

Here is my CPUZ screens:

CPU + MOBO: http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/Weirdgord/CPUandMOBO.jpg

RAM: http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/Weirdgord/RAM.jpg

All 4 slots on the SPD page in cpuz are occupied and have the same settings.

Core Temps pic: http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/Weirdgord/Coretemp.jpg

----------

If there is a kind and bored soul out there who wants to help me re-OC my system it would be greatly appreciated. I can pretty much work my way through the actual chsnging of the settings in the BIOS...i am not great but kinda remember doing it...but i in no way know how to play with and tweak settings to work out a stable and optimized OC.

If anyone knows of a good stable OC for my system and could gimme a small hand working it out that would be amazing. I am playing Age of Conan at the moment...and any juice I can squeeze outta this rig would be great.

I will monitor this post for replies and I can answer any questions or anything.

filling all 4 memory banks on your PC generally always lowers your stable OC, so filling all 4 slots on yours must have meant the overclock was no longer stable, so your mobo reverted to stock settings. This most likely means if you want to get back to 2.9Ghz, you will have to increase the voltages on your NB and maybe Vcore or just lower the OC to something like 2.6Ghz...

filling all 4 memory banks on your PC generally always lowers your stable OC, so filling all 4 slots on yours must have meant the overclock was no longer stable, so your mobo reverted to stock settings. This most likely means if you want to get back to 2.9Ghz, you will have to increase the voltages on your NB and maybe Vcore or just lower the OC to something like 2.6Ghz...

great. I have a new heatsink on my PC...thermaltake big typhoon...bring my temps down about 20C, so voltage increase should be just fine.

The only problem now is that I am not really sure how to do all that. I basically remember how to get into the BIOS menu haha. And I somehow lost all the PM's from thirdshiftdj who helped me do it the 1st time.

I would like to get my cpu back to 2.9GHz. I notice the difference in performance for sure having it back at 2.0Ghz. If thats unstable I would of course try a 2.6GHz or whatever i can get stable.

If you know of a guide or anything that can show me how to do what you recommended that would be amazing. I will save all and any information this time so next time I can tweak away myself if it becomes unstable.

Go into bios press "ctrl+f1", go to Cpu host frequency and change that to 290, change system memory multiplier so its running close to 800mhz and add 0+1 to MCH overvoltage. See if that is stable. Try cpu vcore of 1.34

I managed to do most of what you recommended.

- I got my CPU Host frequency to 290...it was already at 290 btw.

- System Memory Multiplyer I managed to get to 870MHz. It was either that or 725MHz. So if its better to be lower than 800MHz I will go back and change that.

- As for MCH Overvoltage...I didnt see a 0+1...but I did have a +0.1V...which is what I set it too. If thats wrong...I will go change that too.

- Now...here is my only problem if the rest is right. The CPU Vcore. Mine was at 1.3. There was a LONG list of numbers starting at 2.00000 and going down. This was for CPU Voltage control or something. No matter what I set it to, even a 1.34xxxx setting and it wouldnt change my Normal Vcore from 1.30000. So if I was just supposed to set tht CPU Voltage to 1.34XXXX then I will go back an do that.

----------

So...here are pics of my CPUZ and Core temps after the changes I made. Its reading 2.9GHz again, and running a bit warmer, although only about 5 degrees. But I would like to make sure I got it all working right and optimized. My main concern was not being able/not knowing how to change the Vcore from 1.30000... and the System Mem. Multiplyer being 870MHz, It said "800Mhz ... 870MHz" and the other number I could get close to 800 was 725Mhz (as I said above) but since 870 was closer to 800 than 725, even by only 5, I just went with it.

CPU + MOBO - http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/Weirdgord/CPUandMONOOC.jpg

RAM + SPD - http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/Weirdgord/memoryandSPDOC.jpg

Core Temps - http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/Weirdgord/CoretempOC.jpg

----------

Thanks again.

I think this is like the 3rd time I have came on here and randomly gotten exactly what I was looking for from you haha. Much appreciated.

PS...is there a progam or app I can run that can test my stability? Does Prime95 do it?

yes it does. You might not even need any cpu vcore. Just test it and see what happens. If its unstable go add some vcore. I meant to say add o.1v to MCH

Something strange just happened haha.

I was just browsing around the internet....and my firewall popped up saying that I should reboot.

So i did...and got the WARNING! blah blah blah default CPU setting have been changed...when I rebooted.

Its back to 2.0GHZ now

so...i am not sure why it did it out of no where. I have played Age of Conan for extended periods with no problems like this.

Any ideas?

if its the vcore...could you please tell me how to change it. I couldnt when I tried before...it was locked at 1.3000V and I couldnt just reset it directly.

thanks again.

PS...I am upgrading to Vista Home Premium 64bit in the next little bit. Will i need to find a new way to OC...or will all my BIOS be the same? I assume I can play around with my RAM some since I'll be reading all 4GB's then, I believe.

yeah I did the ctrl+F1 thing last time.

oh well...if its stable for a while and something weird is resetting it then its not a big deal. I get a huge popup I couldnt miss when i reboot if it resets so I will always know i guess.

Went back into BIOS and tried to change my vcore...and its in a different color TXT and is not changeable no matter waht I do ****ing around in my BIOS. vcore will not change from 1.3000V. I can adjust anything I want...but when I open up Core Temps or CPUZ or even my BIOS that numbers never changes from 1.3000V. Its very frusterating not being able to change something that everryone makes seem so easy to change haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom