Will I have to upgrade my processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blayez

Baseband Member
Plan on getting an 8800 512 GTS card and upgrading my ram to ddr2 800 or 1066

I want to avoid a serious bottleneck that my Pentium D 950 3.40ghz might cause.. quite a few people have told me that the Pentium D's are complete trash but I am still hesitant about giving mine up

If I chose to upgrade my processor to hang with this new equipment, what would you guys recommend for price and performance.. I am not a big fan of spending 70 dollars on a new hardware item when I could have spent 30 more and got one that I would be able to use for a couple more years

I have been told that the core2duos and quads, even at mucccch lower speeds outperform the D just because of more advanced technology

I also need it to be compatable with my motherboard and such:

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Model : 0YF432 A00
Rev: C1
Bios: Dell inc. 1.1.3 07/31/2006
chipset: nvidia nforce 4 sli intel edition
southbridge: Nvidia nforce 590 SLI
LPCIO: SMSC

Graphic interface: PCI-Express
Link width: x16 Max supported: x16

I really don't know how much it would compare. I mean that Pentium D you have is a 3.4GHz dual-core processor with 4MB of cache, so it should be a great CPU still and offer no bottle-necking. But I am by no means the CPU guru, so I'll see what others have to say. Also, if you haven't seen it yet, I am pretty confident that the maximum speed of memory your motherboard will support is DDR2 667MHz.

Yes, thank you very much a third time :)

If you can find out any info on my Pentium D's performance let me know

Even a cheapest lowest end Allendale CPU outperforms that Pentium D, you might want to check out the e7200, but first check if your board can support Core 2 Duo's, let alone Wolfdale Core 2 Duo's

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Model : 0YF432 A00
Rev: C1
Bios: Dell inc. 1.1.3 07/31/2006
chipset: nvidia nforce 4 sli intel edition
southbridge: Nvidia nforce 590 SLI
LPCIO: SMSC

Graphic interface: PCI-Express
Link width: x16 Max supported: x16

thats all the info i can get about my board atm, now how should I go about seeing what processors would be compatable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom