Need help building computer from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcchowder

Solid State Member
I have sufficient funds and am willing to spend $1000 to $1500. I surf the web often (multiple tabs all the time), use MS Office, download videos and music, watch videos and music. I will most likely use an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, and would like my new computer to be blu-ray compatible (for the future). A HDMI output from my video card would be nice too. I have been looking at parts on newegg, but this is the first computer I have ever built. I am pretty familiar with computers and have upgraded my Dell Desktop (it was a freaking pain). One of my main concerns is compatibility issues. What I have noticed is that a lot of home-built computers crash often. Maybe the people who built these computers are just dummies cuz I have heard that home-built computers don't usually crash. Anyways, any help would be appreciated. This is what I have come up with so far:

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

LIAN LI PC-A06B Black Aluminum ATX Mini Tower Computer Case

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22 (Monitor)

Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-115DBK

XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 B2L-00047 Black USB Ergonomics Keyboard Mouse Included

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 Licensed for 3 PCs

I think the biggest reason for self Build crashes is probably poor Power Supply choices. And I notice you dont have one listed. That and the motherboard are probably the two MOST important pieces to the PC. everything else can be replaced and/or wont effect anything else when it goes out.
I wish I could help you out more, But Im not one of the many Gurus around here, and since its late you might have a bit of a wait before seeing an answer to you question, but trust me....youve come to the right place. Just stick around and these guys will help get you set up.
Meanwhile you might want to take a good look at this:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/power-supply-guide-167793/

It will get you started in the right direction. If no ones helped you tonight, make sure you come back. you dont want to miss this! LOL:D

What I have noticed is that a lot of home-built computers crash often. Maybe the people who built these computers are just dummies cuz I have heard that home-built computers don't usually crash.
Depends how competent the person who built it is, and/or how competent the person using it is.
XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
Go for a 9600 GT, 3850 512MB, 3870, or 8800 GT

Do you game at all?

You could probably take a lot of money of the build if its not used for gaming and the money could be redirected in to making the computer more long term, such as putting a quad core in it.

nice choice on case

scratch that optical drive
go with a SATA drive instead

also you said you download video/music
you realize 320gb version of the same drive is only 5 wings more?
120gb for 5 wings seems like good deal to me

To answer redmoon, I don't do much gaming. When I do game, I play games like cs:source and starcraft (will probably get starcraft 2). I would really want my graphics card to have the ability to output via HDMI to my HDTV, which would be awesome. But, graphics cards is an area I don't know much about. About the quad core, I plan to buy one when I feel it will be right to upgrade my new computer I have yet to make. From my understanding, the motherboard I chose supports quad cores.

Speaking of motherboards, i've been reading some material on the net suggesting that I should buy the best (or really good) one. What do you guys think?

Where are some good places to buy these parts for my new PC? Amazon seems to have really good prices and free shipping.

To be honest, I feel like such a noob that I kinda want to build a computer with parts that you guys tell me to use. Before, I was contemplating on just buying a customized laptop from Dell, but I am guessing that it will only last 3 years.

Thx, Fatclown. Didn't even know they had SATA optical drives and 120+gb sounds good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom