Sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazgul

Baseband Member
Should my harddrive be making a sound...to describe it would be like a hum sorta...but not like a "im working" hum, kinda of like a "slightly annoyed" hum

eh i wondered that myself, but then when i tried to restart my computer, and the computer kept running the beggining (like the windows start screen and what not) i became pretty sure it was my harddrive.

^ that may not be a good idea, un pluging the cpu fan and stuff could turn out bad. JUst unplug the sata and power cable to the hdd while the computer is off and the power cord un plugged, then turn it on and if the noise is still there you know its the fans and not the hdd.

im pretty sure that fans dont make our computer constantly restart itself, granted i wont be home for 2 weeks (vacation). Like do HDD's die like this?

Usually the only warning a HDD will give will be some loud clicking from the head jumping around, but they usually give no warning at all. You might start getting a lot of data errors before it dies, or it might just keel over.

Luke's idea about unplugging you HDD is a good one to find out if it is the drive or a fan.

Oh the agony of a failed hard drive. When I worked at my high school, we had a server that for no real apparent reason would have 1 hard drive failure about every other week. It was like clockwork. Come in Wednesday morning and hear the notorious sounds of the "Beep............Beep.............Beep" of a dead hard drive. They never showed any signs before they died, they would just.... die. It must have been a heat issue because all we did was put a regular room fan blowing onto the server and now there has been no more errors. It really is odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom