Computer keeps powering off by itself when playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phatxtiger

Solid State Member
I have been using my P4 computer well for about 2.5 years. I have been playing lots of games and watching lots of videos. However, recently, my computer kept on turning off by itself when playing games. Also, once, when I was watching a mp4 file, it turned off. It was weird because I have been playing the game(vice city) for about a year and it just started malfunctioning. So at first I thought it was problem with the videocard.

So this is exactly what happens:

while im playing vice city, computer just turns off.

If I press the power button again right away, it will not turn back on. when I unplug and plug back the power cord, a tiny lightbulb right next to the power cord lights up. and then I can turn my computer back on.

Or if I come back after a while to turn it back on, it turns back on.

One stupid thing I've done was having a new hard drive lean on the video card. (because I wanted it to be a slave drive) After that computer did not turn on so I replaced the hard drive and it worked fine again.

but about 2 months after that, out of no where, this whole turning off by itself staerted.

Please help thanks.

I agree that Its overheat because my Comp right now did do that to. I would play CounterStrike Condition Zero for about 1 hour and my computer would just reboot by itself. I added a 4 new fans to it and also some memory cooler for my RAM and now its awesome. Try to get your temp like Placebo said. My temp used to be like 66c and my mobo would be 39c. Now its gone down quite a bit and my Comp function perfectly.

yup definitely sounds like an overheating problem. Check your bios and it might tell you at what temperature it automatically shuts itself off. Its probably not a good idea to change it though, being that it keeps your cpu from flaming up lol. Check out a cpu hs/f if you still using stock, and make sure your case has a good airflow. Post your temps too if you dont mind...

Get some air in a can and remove the dust from all your fans and MOBO. Don't forget your PS. This should clear up your problem.

when u do that let the computer sit overnight (off) so the moister from the air can can evaporate.. also run a vacum.

Few things you can do:

• [*]Check for dust around mainboard memory (RAM),
    [*]Look for any popped Capacitors,
    [*]Run Adware 6.0SE and Spybot: S&D and any Anti-virus software,
    [*]Monitor your CPU and System temperatures, <40C to 55C is what your CPU temperature should be, 10C to 40C for System.

Hey guys thanks for replys. but still have some questions

1. Please tell me how to check my PC's temperature.

2. I always kept my computer case open, and when it started to turn off by it self, I had a mini fan(not for computers) right next to it blasting powerful wind but I don't think it helped a lot. Does it still sound like a temperature problem?

p.s. is leaving computer case open bad?

You can use motherboard monitor to monitor your cpu temperature. Download here

I don't think that keeping the case open is a bad thing. Just keep the dust blown out of it and you shluod be fine. :)

phatxtiger, what wattage is your power supply? and how old is it.. it might be your power supply is dying or that it simply can not handle your games under a full load. Just in case all above didnt work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom