got a few questions (and headache)

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidsteve

Daemon Poster
hello all i'll start by saying thanks to everyone here been a great help over the past months on a good few things

ok the questions are mostly HDD related so here it goes

i'm putting 2x 500 gb WD hard drives in my new build in raid 0, i'm just wondering if i get a 3rd 500 gb drive down the road would i be able to pair it in raid 0 with these 2

the other thing is would i be able to put a 500 gb and a 750 gb in raid 0 with each other also could i put 2 different brands together i.e. WD and seagate or samsung

the next thing is a BLU-RAY RW + HD-DVD drive, i already have a ps3 with a BLU-RAY player but i'm thinking of getting one for burning my blu ray movies on to the HDD so i can just watch without digging out the disc are they any good for that

also i heard that i might need something special for doing that, is that true

one last HDD question, i'm considering a huge amount off HDD space (2.5TB - 4TB) for storing dvd's, music, high def videos and games, would it be best as all raid 0 or separate

Not sure about all those RAID questions, as I have only ever RAIDed 2 identical hard drives, but I know you can configure more than just 2 HDD in a RAID array. As far as all that storage, if you really want all that space to be safe, I wouldn't RAID it all together. That's just asking for failure and data loss. For that amount of space, you may want to look into Drobo. It's $500, but it will be the safest thing when it comes to protecting your HDD data.

Your best option would probably be to NOT raid those hdd's and then to make sure you keep a good weekly or monthly backup (depending on how often new information is added).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom